Tethered Capture

dwphoto

I hope Leica delivers on their promises sooner rather than later.  Since the release of the Leica SL there have been at least 2 revisions of the Image Shuttle software (3.2 and 3.3)...

From the Leica website:

Seamless Integration Fits perfectly into your working environment 

The Leica SL is designed and constructed for seamless integration into existing working environments and work flows. Image data can be saved in the future-proof DNG (Digital Negative) format, the only manufacturer-independent, standardised format that does not rely on dedicated RAW converters. USB 3.0 enables fast and stable tethered shooting with the camera connected to a computer. 

Leica Image Shuttle software ensures an efficient work flow and enables all relevant exposure parameters such as shutter speed and aperture to be assessed on the monitor of a PC. The Leica SL App enables remote control of the camera and the use of a smartphone or tablet as a monitor screen.

As tethering is still not supported, I wonder if there could be a way around it ?

A naive question: Could the video output connector be used to attach a monitor ? Or does this only work in video mode ? (Or not even then ?)

If a TV could be attached this way to mirror the image from the EVF, this would be a very comfortable way of working in the studio.

As said, a very naive (silly) question. But why does this not work ? And what would need to be changed for it to work ?

• 2 weeks later...

The standard USB cable supplied with the SL will tether it to OS X. The protocol used is PTP so you need to have a PTP aware application on the computer side. On OS X, both Lightroom and the standard OS X utility "Image Capture" are fully PTP aware and can transfer captures to disk. 

What's missing per a tethered setup is that you can't do it in an automated way. You connect the camera, open Image Capture, and when a photo appears, you tell Image Capture to download it. You can set it up to download to a watched folder in LR and get a semiautomatic tethering situation that way. 

Hello:  We need real tethering, as in capture an image, and it appears in LR or C1 without all of these clunky interim steps that make the photographer look like a moron in front of an impatient client. I tried the image capture, watched folder in LR and it does work, but it's way too slow/cumbersome for pro shooting in front of a client.  I'm sure there will be a viable solution for both LR & C1Pro in due time, but it'd be nice if they'd release a camera that does what they say it will do when they release it, not 6 months (or more) post-release :(   In the interim, it's back to Canon for jobs that require this seamless tether protocol.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In less than 2 months the X1D will arrive with tethering. I hope this is enough reason for Leica to finally deliver on their promise - tethering is already mentioned in the first announcements, but has disappeared since then. The Image Shuttle software has been updated twice since then and is available for almost all other Leica platforms.

Why not for the Leica SL ?   Leica, please take this seriously !

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Good News !!

Tethering for the SL (Leica Image shuttle for SL 3.4) is ready for download since last Friday, according to Leica support. Together with firmware 2.1 .

I have to check if this is correct or if they mixed up the date with this Friday (29th).

Well, whatever ...  it is finally there !!

Edited by steppenw0lf

OS only.

An it's not online now. It's announced for next Friday.

Thanks for the clarification.  Went to the members area and no download links yet :(   Shooting lots of tethered portraits this Thursday with my DSMKIII; was hoping to use the SL. At least these long past-due updates are finally on the horizon!

:(

A fine opportunity to switch to a decent OS. Take it as a hint/giveaway...     :)  ;)

If you are addicted to Win, you can still use it in Parallels or Virtualbox (for free).

Since my switch in 2010/11 my environment is extremely stable (no crashes or hangups) and I have llttle trouble with viruses (and still relatively few updates).

Edited by steppenw0lf

A fine opportunity to switch to a decent OS. Take it as a hint/giveaway...     :)  ;)

If you are addicted to Win, you can still use it in Parallels or Virtualbox (for free).

Since my switch in 2010/11 my environment is extremely stable (no crashes or hangups) and I have llttle trouble with viruses (and still relatively few updates).

Thanks, but no thanks. Apple is the work of the devil  :p

I'll wait till the Windows version arrives. It would be useful for me, but it's not critical.

According to the Leica Blog email-blast, Leica Image Shuttle v.3.4 and Lightroom Plug-In v.1.1.0 for MacOS X are available.  

-I have Image Shuttle 3.2.  The Leica email says the version is 3.4 for the SL.  The owners area says V 3.3 is available for download.  Is 3.3 correct or should there be a 3.4?  In any event, when I clicked the download link in the owners area, it took me to a dead end on the Leica site; no download available.

-I went to download V2.1 of the SL firmware update.  When I clicked the download link it took me to a dead end on the Leica site; no download available.

​-I went to download the Lightroom Plug-In v.1.1.0.  When I clicked the download link it took me to a dead end on the Leica site; no download available.

-The only item I was able to download is the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom_Tethered Plug-in_Manual_EN

The version numbering is inconsistent - IS 3.3 = 3.4 - it will become clear when downloading the file. It works under OS X although I am still trying to figure out whether it's possible to select focus points/fields/zones from within the app or whether clicking the rather dumb AF button in the bottom right corner of the live view field is the only way to auto focus.

The version numbering is inconsistent - IS 3.3 = 3.4 - it will become clear when downloading the file. It works under OS X although I am still trying to figure out whether it's possible to select focus points/fields/zones from within the app or whether clicking the rather dumb AF button in the bottom right corner of the live view field is the only way to auto focus.

Hello:  I'm less concerned about the inconsistent numbering.  All of the download links I've tried thru the Leica owner's portal, have been a dead end.  There are no files to download except the LR plugin how-to manual.  Very frustrating.