APO Extender 2x question

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My apologies if this has been covered before. I went through one or two back threads on this product but couldn't find what I needed specifically.

I just bought an APO Extender 2 x.

When I got home it fit my 2/180 APO-Summicron-R no problem, but wouldn't fit my 4/280 APO-Telyt-R at all.

The 4/280 is ROM and the 2/180 is 3CAM. I then did a little more investigating on the wiki site. It seems there is both a 3CAM (11262) and ROM (11269) version of the APO Extender 2x. My 2/180 is 3CAM and my 4/280 is ROM.

So, it seems that the 11262 is not forwards compatible to ROM. 

My question is this - is the 11269 ROM version backwards compatible to 3CAM? In other words, can I return the 3CAM extender, buy the ROM extender and that extender fit both lenses?

Many thanks in advance.

My apologies if this has been covered before. I went through one or two back threads on this product but couldn't find what I needed specifically.

When I got home it fit my 2/180 APO-Summicron-R no problem, but wouldn't fit my 4/280 APO-Telyt-R at all.

The 4/280 is ROM and the 2/180 is 3CAM. I then did a little more investigating on the wiki site. It seems there is both a 3CAM (11262) and ROM (11269) version of the APO Extender 2x. My 2/180 is 3CAM and my 4/280 is ROM.

My question is this - is the 11269 ROM version backwards compatible to 3CAM? In other words, can I return the 3CAM extender, buy the ROM extender and that extender fit both lenses?

Many thanks in advance.

According to this, which I consulted before I purchased my APO 2X that arrived this morning, you should be good to go...

http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-accessory/leica-apo-extender

Many thanks in advance.

You have to put an extender on the camera first or fiddle with the aperture link, otherwise it will appear not to fit to the lens.

Jaap, I am curious about your evaluation of the APO 2X extender...  do you notice any difference in IQ on your digital images between with 2X and plain native focal length when using mediumish R glass (i.e., Macro Elmarit 60mm or APO Summicron-R 90mm ASPH)?

Thanks all for your replies.

I've tried mounting the APO Extender 2x v11262 first to the R>M adaptor (already on the M) and then to attach the 4/280 ROM version lens, as suggested. It will not attach. Either I am still doing something wrong, or I do in fact need the 11269 (ROM) version of the APO Extender 2x in order to use ROM version lenses. My 2/180-R does work with the 11262, but it is not a ROM version copy of the lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jaap, I am curious about your evaluation of the APO 2X extender...  do you notice any difference in IQ on your digital images between with 2X and plain native focal length when using mediumish R glass (i.e., Macro Elmarit 60mm or APO Summicron-R 90mm ASPH)?

I don't know - I have only have longer lenses, It works fine with my 80-200  @ 80 though, no deterioration visible in actual use. (in MTF-peeking probably, Leica tells us to stop one down, but that is not really relevant to me)

• Like 1

I've tried mounting the APO Extender 2x v11262 first to the R>M adaptor (already on the M) and then to attach the 4/280 ROM version lens, as suggested. It will not attach. Either I am still doing something wrong, or I do in fact need the 11269 (ROM) version of the APO Extender 2x in order to use ROM version lenses. My 2/180-R does work with the 11262, but it is not a ROM version copy of the lens.

I have a non-ROM 2x Apo Extender and it has never been temperamental with ROM lenses. I don't think Leica changed anything to the mount mechanically when they added the ROM.

• Like 1

The R>M adapter does not move the aperture control lever out of the way, this is what is interfering with the 280/4 APO.  If the extender were used on an R camera the camera would move the lever.  You will need to identify the aperture control lever at the camera side of the extender and move it out of the way with your finger while you attach the 280/4.

• Like 1

The R>M adapter does not move the aperture control lever out of the way, this is what is interfering with the 280/4 APO.  If the extender were used on an R camera the camera would move the lever.  You will need to identify the aperture control lever at the camera side of the extender and move it out of the way with your finger while you attach the 280/4.

The same procedure is required with the Apo 1.4x extender attached to the Apo 4x280

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Exactly as Doug says. Although actually with my ROM Apo Extender and ROM lenses I seem to get away with it. But doing what Doug says will sort you out.

Where I could compare focal lengths on the same lens with and without the x2 APO-adapter on the 28-90 and 80-200 lenses, the images were not quite as good with the adapter which is to be expected.