Jobo LensTRUE: like a shift lens, but in post production

Manolo Laguillo

• 1 month later...

Hi, Lenstrue still isn't officially compatible with the Leica S007 cameras.

Raw files are easily available on the web and the Leica lenses supply shouldn't be a problem neither.

So I hope they really are working on it.

If any news on the availability planning, please share !

One thing that T/S lenses can do, when using tilt, is to change or extend the plane of focus, e.g., tilting the lens down on a landscape shot to get the foreground as well as distant objects simultaneously in focus.  Does this product simulate this ability in any way?

Jeff

One thing that T/S lenses can do, when using tilt, is to change or extend the plane of focus, e.g., tilting the lens down on a landscape shot to get the foreground as well as distant objects simultaneously in focus.  Does this product simulate this ability in any way?

Jeff

No, of course not. LensTRUE is s a postproduction tool. The Scheimpflug Law works only by playing with the convergence of the lens plane, the scene plane and the image plane.

No, of course not. LensTRUE is s a postproduction tool. The Scheimpflug Law works only by playing with the convergence of the lens plane, the scene plane and the image plane.

A post production tool...you think?  :rolleyes:   I'm sure folks said the same thing about being able to make blurry pictures in focus after the fact (some post production software now available).  I'll leave it to the people behind this product to answer, thanks.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello SaW,

Hi, Lenstrue still isn't officially compatible with the Leica S007 cameras.

Raw files are easily available on the web and the Leica lenses supply shouldn't be a problem neither.

So I hope they really are working on it.

If any news on the availability planning, please share !

the compatibility with the S007 is planned for February 2016. So please be patient for another three weeks - working on it.....

Joerg

Hello Jeff,

A post production tool...you think?  :rolleyes:   I'm sure folks said the same thing about being able to make blurry pictures in focus after the fact (some post production software now available).  I'll leave it to the people behind this product to answer, thanks.

Jeff

Sorry for the bad news, but Manolo is absolutely right. LensTRUE is not supporting tilting in postproduction, only shifting.

Jörg

• Like 1

Hello Jeff,

Sorry for the bad news, but Manolo is absolutely right. LensTRUE is not supporting tilting in postproduction, only shifting.

Jörg

Thanks.  But that doesn't mean that it's impossible to accomplish (simulate)...which is Manolo's take.

Jeff

Any idea how? This implies that a defocused, unsharp part of the image would be sharpened in postprocessing. This could be done maybe with a field camera and would require even more complex calculations. Render sharp and in focus parts unsharp seems a lot easier.

Joerg

Edited by Joshi_H

The Scheimpflug law was routinely applied during the 20th century to achieve sharpness in the whole image, near and far, left and right. The quality standard was: "detail all over". The name a group of photographers in the west coast during the 30's used (f.64) was indicative of this.

Only in recent times the Scheimpflug law is being employed for exactly the opposite: sharpness only in a small part of the image. I dare to affirm this trend began in the 90's, twenty years ago. The quality standard has become broader, and includes something that our forerunners would consider a mistake. Some very good examples of this are to be found in the work of the spanish photographer Juan Manuel Castro Pietro (eg. his portraits made in the peruvian countryside).

The Scheimpflug law is easy to understand if we consider it a particular way of looking at what focusing is. For a certain distance between the lens and a certain plane in front of it (the subject), there is always a certain plane at a certain distance behind the lens plane, and in this plane it is where the sharp image of the subject is to be found. When the distance between the subject and the lens equals infinity, the distance between the lens and the image plane equals the focal distance of the lens being used. In a 'normal' camera, a rigid one, those 3 planes (subject, lens, image) are always parallel to each other, which means, saying it in the language the mathematician use, they intersect always at infinity.

When applying the Scheimpflug law, those 3 planes no longer intersect at infinity, but in a concrete place. The distances are now 'angular distances', and the subject plane is no longer parallel to the camera but slanted in respect to it. Thanks to this it is possible to have in focus a floor in front of us with the diaphragm wide open. But if we want to have detail in the image of something protruding vertically from this floor we must close the diaphragm, in order to have a certain depth of field. If we don't close the diaphragm everything above and under the floor (let's think it's transparent because made of glass...) will be blurred, inevitably.

With the technology we, common mortals, have at our disposal it is possible to simulate in post production the application of the Scheimpflug law for blurring something in the image that is sharp, but not the opposite, to sharpen something which was photographed blurred because it felt in the out of focus areas.

There is this technique where many sharp images, made with smallest changes in the focusing, are stacked in PP to a final all-over-sharp image, a so to say panorama that goes from the foreground to the background instead from left to right. But this has nothing to do with the Scheimpflug law.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, still no news for the Leica S007 & S-30mm support...

When thinking again to this LensTrue solution I wonder now if it wouldn't be a better option for me just to skip the hardware.

Personaly when doing architecture shooting I never end up with many pictures and correcting them fully manually won't be a problem.

Instead of buying the hardware, using the plate + cable when shooting and then sync the pictures back at home, I would prefer just to have a better software than Lightroom to correct the perspectives manually.

So the Visualizer from LensTrue + the correct camera and lenses profiles would be great, and also hopefully much cheaper than the full HW + sw option.

Wouldn't be worth it for LensTrue to extend their offer to this software option only?

Any thought on that ?

• 1 month later...