macro orchids - 2 pictures

Iduna

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Q, macro function

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

no 2

• Like 3

The second picture is more interpretive compared to the first and I find it much more compelling for that reason.

The first picture says, "I was here and I saw this," whereas the second picture says "here is how these orchids affected me emotionally."

There is much more deployment of the tools of photographic expression in the second picture, especially selective depth of field and the positioning of the sharp parts of the picture compared to the out-of-focus regions.

A comment on that would be that some cropping from the right could be done, maybe to just inside the out of focus green area, or maybe even closer to the first white flower.

That would make the sharp part of the flower less centred for a more dynamic composition.

I enjoy the high key and delicate tonalities of this: most pleasing.

Neil,

thank you so much for taking time to write such a detailed and helpful comment. I agree with your opinion on the second picture. One has to go deeper with every step. I did a slight ropping according to you advice

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Louis,

thank you for your support here in my very first steps approaching the "Q". I think the 28 mm fl is right for me. One has to learn telling stories in this frame.

I hope to have more time now in the coming weeks.  :)

Dee,

this is nice to have some dedicated friends, giving company to new approaches. This lens is a challenge and I have fun already now even if I know there is a lot to cover and to learn about this new view.... :)

• Like 1

Already you are getting along quite well with the Q, as if it's right at home in your hands. I think Neil's comments were thoughtful and appropriate, however, I find myself liking the first two images more than the cropped version. The first image gives a sense of place because of the inclusion of the window frame and the hint of an outside deck in the lower left part of the frame. I don't feel this detracts from the image, just that it provides more information. The second one is all about the orchids and does a nice job of conveying their beauty and delicacy. For me, the cropped version still has the sharpest part of the flower centered in the frame and the resultant enlargement kind of thrusts the flowers at the viewer whereas the other versions let the viewer draw into them on their own. I think your first instincts were the right ones.

Edited by fotografr

Brent,

many thanks for your detailed comment.

This is what I like about this forum. You mentioned the frame and I agree. The Q has this wideangle character and this is meant for focussing on a subject in  relation to its environment. But the experiment of cropping is also interesting because you gain some knowledge about the quality of this lens.

I am grateful for so much support. and I hope my future pictures will benefit from this.

Nice delicate orchid petals Iduna.  They look papery, and the contra jour treatment works well.  I prefer the second and third images, as they are more "focused" on the subject.

You are going well with the Q, obviously works however you try the camera, in your capable hands.

cheers  Dave S

Iduna,

a plant the very delicate and dainty designs offers - for example, exactly in the middle of the colorful little "devil"       -       
white plant on white background i would describe as difficult........

i wish you much fun experimenting   :)