FINISH

jtanen

Yes – a speck of mine has chipped off the top edge. I've been quite careful with the camera and don't recall knocking it on anything at all, let alone hard enough to chip it. It's been in the Leica Leather Protector pretty much every time I've taken it out shooting, so I was quite disappointed to notice this.

Looked at the demo Q IN SOHO NEW YORK store, the camera has never been taken out of the store for use but just from daily handling shows a lot of wear. I was told that the the Q is made of softer metal than the M, Does this mean that in a year or two the average Q will look like a war photographers camera ?   How is the black finish applied? Is there touch up paint??

I have had minde since the camera was released and it is use almost daily without any protection and the paint finish is still perfect with no signs of wear so it would appear to be hardy wearing than the paint finish was on my M9 and M240.  I don't pamper my cameras as I regard them as Photography tools so I would say this is quite encouraging

Edited by viramati

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I too am experience this issue!  Like all of you, I consider myself to be careful while using this little unit.  But I have numerous paint chips showing up all over the lens.  This is the only camera I have had this problem with.  I have an M9, M7 & Fuji XT1.  Zero paint issues with those....

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

my Q2 has paint come off very easily, I can count at least 4-5 spots where the paint has come off

I dont baby my cameras (and one spot looks like a genuine hard scratch) but I dont remember seeing paint come off this easily on a camera

• Like 1

I had a similar experience.  Build and coating quality is not the same as M Series.  The strap can easily mark the case and there’s no protection.   I recommend you use a good leather half case.  

I didn’t keep my Q after the warranty expired.

I’m very particular about my camera. I put gaffers tape on the hard edges to try and protect them a little. It looks a little ghetto, but I don’t mind that. Not for everyone, but its what I did for 3+ years on the original Q and now what I’ve done on my 1 day old Q2

• Haha 1

I also sent pictures in to the Leica store in London, they say it looks like a hard scratch on one spot I think they are right, but I can also see others (like the bottom plate) where it does not look like impact and another couple of spots where it looks like silvering (for example on the shoulder wheel)

I have had several Leicas (both film and digital) but I dont remember this happening this quickly. The wheel on the SL is starting to silver, but it's been 2 years of intense use

I dont particularly like using cases as they make the camera bulky and I am prepared to accept some wear and tear and the occasional scratch or bump, but this is beyond my wildest immagination

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, Fedro said:

my Q2 has paint come off very easily, I can count at least 4-5 spots where the paint has come off

I dont baby my cameras (and one spot looks like a genuine hard scratch) but I dont remember seeing paint come off this easily on a camera

I noticed the same issue with my Q2 the other day. The edge at the top near the shutter speed wheel is missing some paint. I’m extremely careful with it, keep it in the Leica leather half case, inside a camera bag, which I usually carry inside my backpack. Had the Q for two years and never had this problem.

Anxiously awaiting my Q2.  B&H order on 4/18.  Do hope that the issued raised here with the finish is not a wide spread problem!  My M6 was built and finished like a tank.  I am hoping that Q2 has somewhat of the same fit and finish.

• 2 weeks later...

My Q is in good shape, but I used the Leica case since nearly day 1.  Other than where I banged the heck out of the hood and cap - but those are easily replaced. :o  I hope the Q2 holds up as well.  That said, I started out with low expectations for the black and would have gotten a silver Q2 had they been available.  My old M6 paint did some bizarre bubbling while being stored.  I sent it to Leica and they fixed it, but I noticed before I sold it, that it was starting to happen again.  My take is that black metal is an unnatural state and will revert to bare metal over time. ;)