Shoulder bag recommendations

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking for a bag to carry two rangefinders - my M240 and M4 side by side in separate compartments with top access. I am using a small hadley but that takes one on top of the other which is not ideal.

Does anyone know if the ONA Bowery bag fits 2 rangefinders with lenses attached (50 & 35 summicrons).

Thanks.

Paul

I haven't seen the Fogg bags before. I think they are too stylish for my taste. I also prefer just one buckle to undo.

My old b-laika, and more recent Lyre, are small, all black, one simple and quiet clasp, no visible logos, and well worn.

The advertisements usually show the larger and more colorful options....and unfortunately the prices have since soared.

There are other threads here on bad experiences with ONA build quality and customer support, and they're not inexpensive either.  After handling ONA and Billingham at a Leica store last year, the construction superiority of the Billingham was immediately evident....and they come in all black, too.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I'm apparently out of my league here in a discussion of Billingham, Ona and Hadley bags...  but if you're looking for something that will just do the job and won't break the bank,  a Domke F2 or F6 will do what the OP was after with the right inserts.   I have and use (for years) both the F2 and F6,  depending on what gear I need to take.

Edited by hepcat
  • Like 2

Well, to help simplify for you, Hadley bags are Billingham.   :)

Jeff

Sometimes I need a warning tag affixed to my forehead that says "Engage brain BEFORE starting fingers when typing." 

Yes, I let my fingers do the typing without my brain being engaged... it should have read "Billinham Hadley and Ona..."   Geez... ;)

• Like 1

I don't see your point. I carry an M9 and an MM with 4 lenses total in a Hadley Small. It fits. If that's too narrow for you take the Hadley Pro. I won't leave Billingham anymore after many other brands because it is the most protecting and most silent bag. Oh how I hate those velcro locking bags or the irons on Domke

My understanding is that Billingham bags became famous because a party of Americans came on a fishing trip to the UK and needed to keep their equipment dry. (Well, they would, wouldn't they!)

They used Billingham bags made for anglers. The material was high grade sail canvas (good idea from Midlands anglers who are furthest inland from the sea) where the canvas expanded when exposed to moisture. Thereby they kept the wet out of the bag. It's an old trick.

The idea was taken forward into camera bags. Fogg used a similar sail canvas. Their bags were made in the UK, however I understand they have now decamped to France.

• Like 1

I can only speak from personal experience but I have had no problems all with my Ona bags.I have two Ona Bowerys, one leather and the other canvas. The leather one in particular has been very well used and although it looks a bit worn in now, is structurally as good as the day I bought it. That includes plenty of use whilst riding a vibratory British motorcycle.

To me, Billingham and Fogg look a bit 'old manish' (but that's just my opinion).

i have also been looking for a bag, i currently have a billingham leica combination bag , its quite nice. it might even be the same bag. i would like an even smaller bag to go out for just the day with camera and a lens or two. something lite and protects the camera while in the street and while having a lunch or dinner.

im looking for something:  small, lite, thin, comfortable to carry all day, good protection. don't care to much about actual looks and happy with leather or canvas.i had the Ona Prince - to heavy !  i like the Ona Bowery but not crazy about the shape and the pockets so small

Bag question:  Which bag would you suggest to improve my pictures?  I would like to carry a messenger bag type bag that would allow me to carry a bunch of expensive gear without being detected.  I want to be discreet, but I also want to have a sort of fashion vibe.  My only requirement is that the bag must have an exclusive name brand like Fogg, Hadley, Billingham or Louis Vuitton.  I believe these sort of bags would help my photography.

Also, which bag would your suggest if I want to shoot the new  28mm Summilux - something really special please.

Rick

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

and isn't it the Ona Bowery where the strap disintegrates because of the poor design and stitching? Or is that another Ona bag?

That was their Berlin bag, since replaced by the Berlin II.   But others have noted similar issues with the Union Street.  And various folks have complained about poor service follow-up.  Others have been pleased.   But as I noted above, my in-person comparison of various Billingham vs ONA bags at a Leica store made the superior construction (and design) of the Billinghams immediately apparent.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S