Three MM

johnwolf

Excellent. All three are exceptionally simple, clean designs.

The second one is slightly unnerving as it doesn't have the balance of the other two.

I'm not sure why. I think it is because the line at about shoulder height is absolutely parallel, but the road isn't, as the whole scene is actually on a slope that you have straightened using the wall 'line' as your reference. The top of the door isn't level, which further confirms it. But then the bus stop sign and the door frames DO look perpendicular.

Weird... I think its a combination of all the irregularities in a composition that first appears absolutely clean and absolutely regular, with the man in the doorway giving the composition life... and yet in reality, it isn't.

The other two are nigh on perfect, compositionally... a great series of very strong designs... With my favourite being the first one. Very strong.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, especially you thoughts on the second image.

I went back to the original and had a look. So often my horizontals are lower on the right side. In fact, I don't recall every having more of an issue with that than I do with the M. Not sure why.  

Anyway, that picture is processed with a slight counter-clockwise rotation. I thought the strongest line was the sign, so I was guided by that. The road does slope, and I agree it's a bit disconcerting trying to reconcile the horizontals, especially the street line.  

I like the first one best, too. Thanks again. 

John 

Excellent. All three are exceptionally simple, clean designs.

The second one is slightly unnerving as it doesn't have the balance of the other two.

I'm not sure why. I think it is because the line at about shoulder height is absolutely parallel, but the road isn't, as the whole scene is actually on a slope that you have straightened using the wall 'line' as your reference. The top of the door isn't level, which further confirms it. But then the bus stop sign and the door frames DO look perpendicular.

Weird... I think its a combination of all the irregularities in a composition that first appears absolutely clean and absolutely regular, with the man in the doorway giving the composition life... and yet in reality, it isn't.

The other two are nigh on perfect, compositionally... a great series of very strong designs... With my favourite being the first one. Very strong.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my comments :)

We have sort of ignored it, but the third photo is really excellent too. All the diagonals just work really well. The whole thing is well balanced and the dark splash on the road makes the composition whole. 

Was this cropped in post to get this composition or did this mostly come in camera?

Not that it matters particularly. I'm one of those people who think composition can happen anywhere in the process. Just getting the raw material that is this strong to start with is something special.

Excellent, as I said before :)

Edited by Bill Livingston

I guess I am missing the point.  If I focus long enough, I can with my peripheral vision detect some consistent lines.  But that's where the interest level stops for me.  I just can't spend more than a couple of seconds on each one...

Nearly every street block or building facade has some trace of lines and patterns.  To me, you need more elements of interest and subject matter here.  

Just 2 cents from an obnoxious and politically incorrect New Yorker...

I think it's just that the man and the door are a bit too far left and that for a better composition they should move a little bit to the centre. Maybe that counts also for the first image, camera a bit more to the left. 

But I like the three pictures as they are, the decisive moments are in all three

Edited by otto.f

Very strong as a series, but that third shot is a standout, as it got my mind churning, vividly filling in the blanks for a story that likely never happened. Thanks for including the shadows of those just out of frame, not daring to go any closer to that gruesome splat. Excellent photography!

Larry

• Like 1

The simple , sombre setting, the ominous, dark wall and black column, the path of light, the single figure.

This could be a scene from a play and we appear to be looking down at the stage from the auditorium.

Who is the woman, where has she come from, where is she headed, what about her clothes, her short jacket, her voluminous, patterned skirt, her stride, what about the odd way she holds her arms, how come one sleeve is up and one sleeve is down, why is she looking down, is she talking to herself, silently perhaps, how long did it take for her to cross the frame, what happens when she's gone?

Lots to take in and ponder, if one is willing to spend the time.

• Like 1

The simple , sombre setting, the ominous, dark wall and black column, the path of light, the single figure.

This could be a scene from a play and we appear to be looking down at the stage from the auditorium.

Who is the woman, where has she come from, where is she headed, what about her clothes, her short jacket, her voluminous, patterned skirt, her stride, what about the odd way she holds her arms, how come one sleeve is up and one sleeve is down, why is she looking down, is she talking to herself, silently perhaps, how long did it take for her to cross the frame, what happens when she's gone?

Lots to take in and ponder, if one is willing to spend the time.

I really like your comment, Steve. We all strive to be better photographers, but your thoughts underscore the need to also become better viewers of photographs.

I'm not speaking of my photographs above, but in general. There can be much to gain if, as you say, we spend the time to take it in and ponder. 

John 

Edited by johnwolf
  • Like 2