How to adjust DNG to have same color tone with Jpeg in LR?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i really like color tone of Jpeg of the Q, i did many times in LR already but i cannot adjust the same color tone with Jpeg. 

I want to process DNG to the same with Jpeg and other things in my pic. maybe my LR skill is limited so i need your help here. tks all

2 pics below

First is Jpeg with adjustment

second is from DNG with adjustment.

22951254640_4351165906_b.jpgL1010342 by Duy Vu, on Flickr

22851326257_0c71e1e482_b.jpgL1010341 by Duy Vu, on Flickr

• Like 1

If you use a Greta Macbeth colour chart you can adjust each and every colour to match. Save that as a preset.

The image above is not only the wrong hue and saturation in red; it probably needs a slight desaturation in cyan as well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you use a Greta Macbeth colour chart you can adjust each and every colour to match. Save that as a preset.

The image above is not only the wrong hue and saturation in red; it probably needs a slight desaturation in cyan as well.

DNG file of the Q is really not compressed, so we have to adjust every thing, sometimes after adjustment i see my pics and also think it is not so nice but i dont know how to do more. hahhaha...

what is Greta Macbeth? man, first time, i hear it, how to use it? please advise, tks so much.

GretagMacbeth -- a color chart.  Links for GretagMacbeth now take me to X-rite?  Anyway, a chart like this:

Amazon.com : X-Rite MSCCC ColorChecker Classic : Photo Studio Support Equipment : Camera & Photo

Or the fancier (and even more expensive) Passport version.

tks anyway, marchyman, i think i will try to learn more LR for saving money :)

Yes, learn Lightroom adjustments.  You still need something to compare to get accurate colors (if that is your goal).   I've taken a picture of my room them opened that in Lightrooom and played with the controls to get what I see on my monitor to match what I see in real life.   That does require a calibrated monitor.

Accurate colors aren't necessarily the colors that you see in a Q jpeg.  If you are happy with the Q jpegs (and it sounds like you are) then keep playing with DNG adjustments until you find the settings that match the jpeg.   Keep in mind that the settings will probably not be constant.  Finding the adjustments to match one jpeg doesn't necessarily mean you can use those same adjustments to match all jpegs.  I'm not sure that is the case, but I suspect it is.

• Like 1

Yes, learn Lightroom adjustments.  You still need something to compare to get accurate colors (if that is your goal).   I've taken a picture of my room them opened that in Lightrooom and played with the controls to get what I see on my monitor to match what I see in real life.   That does require a calibrated monitor.

Accurate colors aren't necessarily the colors that you see in a Q jpeg.  If you are happy with the Q jpegs (and it sounds like you are) then keep playing with DNG adjustments until you find the settings that match the jpeg.   Keep in mind that the settings will probably not be constant.  Finding the adjustments to match one jpeg doesn't necessarily mean you can use those same adjustments to match all jpegs.  I'm not sure that is the case, but I suspect it is.

i like skin tone of Jpeg, Jpeg is feeling too dark and i also want to adjust more following to my taste. DNG is very important for me as well. i usually compare color on my computer and ipad retina.

Don't have LR, but it probably has a way to duplicate the adjustment I did in Picture Window Pro.

The top left photo is what you did by hand; top right is the camera JPG you posted. The Color Correction control in PWP is at the bottom right. The result is at the bottom left.

I vectored a few colors. Probe a target, for example, on the forehead, on the camera JPG; probe the same forehead location on the working image in LR; vector the latter toward the former. I did several of these adjustments. Also, I set fixed colors in the control to limit the scope of the adjustments.

It is not exact, and for better results, the exposures and overall saturation levels should be closer to each other. I kept the adjustments smaller than they should be: in general, I prefer to work in repeated small steps, and in this case I also think the "best" look is somewhere in between the two input photos. To my eye her skin looks pretty good in the result, but the boy's skin needs more adjustment.

Of course, a set of adjustments can be saved and applied to other photos.

The ColorChecker method is similar, except it works from a photograph of the ColorChecker and uses stated values for the color squares of the Checker as the target.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!