Brick Lane, London England

elmarman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went to 'Brick Lane' area of London with a Camera Club friend and took my 1986 M6 loaded with some Agfa 'Scala' 200 I was given and my 1965 M2 loaded with some outdated 'Solaris 800' which I wanted to finish up, rated at 400 ASA . The ' Scala 200' was really for B&W slides but I read it could be used as a negative rated at 100 ASA so that is what I did . I took only very few on the C41 film then found the M2 shutter is faulty -- slow speeds running too fast so all under-exposed and even the 1/125th is about 1/1000th ! I Processed the Scala in home-made ID11 formula 1+1 having tried Rodinal 1+50 on a first test and got thin negs. I scanned negs with my old Epson 1650 flatbed + Vuescan Pro + PhotoShop 7 . I used only my 1966 35mm f1.4 Canadian Leitz Summilux at wide apertures as light was poor and had only 100 ASA rated film. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Thanks -- I did a 16x12" darkroom print of the last two on Ilford Multigrade IV Glossy with my LPL C700 Pro enlarger-- I put the one of the Guy walking round the corner into a Club Print Competition but it didn't get anywhere -- I still have the one of the Barbers' Shop to put in.

can you BELIEVE it -- I got only ONE comment on THIS set of photos ( Thanks Mr Stuny ) when I got 41 comments on the one taken later under Tower Bridge ! -- and I gave all the technical details to make it 'interesting' as  I do then it was said I should have 'Just Posted' and said  nothing --

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Carl : YES== there WAS the Film Camera Stall there and the man is on Flickr and offered to show me all his Olympus models next time I go there, as I put on about the OM2n I have 'taken over' from my Son who has lost interest in it.

Hi elmarman,  great images, I grew up in and around Brick Lane & Old Montague Street (my family home on the corner of Old M" Street & Brick Lane was as bombed) So we moved out to Edgware Mddx, we had twice weekly visits to the Lane & surrounding areas... Old Lion Yard (now gone) was a lovely mesmerizing place..  A very interesting character was a guy called Prince Monolulu, my father (not a betting man) knew him well, a racing tipster of the "Old School"... Oh those long ago memories... 

manoleica :My DAD knew of 'Prince Monolulu' -- we lived in East Ham, East London at the time -- wish I had the knowledge and Camera Gear that I have now !! What photos I could have got !  If my Dad earned £14-00 a week ( $ 21) on the railway at Liverpool Street that was a 'Good Week' -- no money for expensive cameras !