3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tried the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM with the adapter.I knew it wasn't on the compatibility list, but having seen a review suggesting it would work well, I decided to give it a try. I did everything by the book(let) and initially there were actually some promising noises when I switced on the kit. But after that, the thing was basically dead. I fiddled  with alternative settings and start-up procedures for a while but nothing worked and that was basically that.

As others have reported, the aperture wheel works fine.

Edited by Jeriksen

SL + Zeiss Otus 28 mm at f1.4, 5 images stacked (ISO1600, 12 sec exposure time). The sky partly cleared up for a few hours with a rising moon above the horizon; sufficiently to take a few shots before the clouds moved in. The haze in the air and the halos around the stars are caused by moist, not-so-winterly air.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by helged
  • Like 15

I've been concentrating on R lenses to start. Ultimately, however, I have a bunch of Nikkors and a Nikon F to Leica M adapter that I can experiment with ...

Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S

Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI

Nikon 35mm f/2 AF-D

Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 (Pre-AI)

Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 (Pre-AI)

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AI-S

Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF-D ED-IF

Whether I ever get around to experimenting is another question. Maybe a couple of them ... like the 28/2, 50/1.2, and 105 macro. 

I tested the Nikkor P 3,5/55 Micro (modified for AI) with a Nikon D800 and admit it is a hell of a sharp lens !

The Nikkor Q 2,8/135 would be my first choice for portraits because of its amazing bokeh is just like a dream.

You can always magnify when using SL.

For MANUAL lenses, whether Leica or 3rd party, you can press the joystick (I use this all the time), or you can use the lower right back button, to magnify.

For 3rd party ELECTRONIC lenses, i.e., for lenses using the Novoflex SL/NIK (for Nikon E lenses) or SL/EOS (for Canon EF lenses) adapters, only the lower right back button on the SL can be used to magnify, not the joystick. The same holds for the native SL lenses.

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

At the risk of repetition/boring the audience with night photos, but this time with a lens that is not too much mentioned in this thread, at least.

Clouds moving in. SL + Nikon 14-24 mm f2.8; 5 images stacked, ISO1600 at f2.8. The Nikkor 14-24 has quite controlled coma, which is a good thing for this kind of image (and apologise for the image degradation/compression; too many stars for the 500kb image size limitation...).

Edited by helged
  • Like 4

You can always magnify when using SL.

For MANUAL lenses, whether Leica or 3rd party, you can press the joystick (I use this all the time), or you can use the lower right back button, to magnify.

For 3rd party ELECTRONIC lenses, i.e., for lenses using the Novoflex SL/NIK (for Nikon E lenses) or SL/EOS (for Canon EF lenses) adapters, only the lower right back button on the SL can be used to magnify, not the joystick. The same holds for the native SL lenses.

I got it!Thanks for sharing!

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

• 2 weeks later...

City gathering. SL + Nikon 400mm f2.8E at ISO1600, f2.8, 1/10 sec.

• Like 6

Tried the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM with the adapter.I knew it wasn't on the compatibility list, but having seen a review suggesting it would work well, I decided to give it a try. I did everything by the book(let) and initially there were actually some promising noises when I switced on the kit. But after that, the thing was basically dead. I fiddled  with alternative settings and start-up procedures for a while but nothing worked and that was basically that.

As others have reported, the aperture wheel works fine.

Strange. Someone reported earlier that this combo was amazingly fast and accurate.

Update:

1. Did not return the Novoflex Adapter. Decided to keep it to be able to use the ZD 15, ZO 55 and ZO 85.

2. Ordered the Canon 5DS R - delivery awaited.

3. No action on the X1D - availability unknown currently.

Will take the SL, 5DS R, and 2 1Dx bodies to Africa. Also the Novoflex adapter.

Lens selection to be determined - in addition to what is listed above (24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 200/2L, 200-400/4L. May ditch the 400/4 DO V1 to save space.)

- ZD15 for sure.

- One or both ZOs.

- To take or not - one or more of the M lenses: 28/2 Summicron, 50/1.4 Summilux, 90/2 Summicron?

The trip is to Masai Amboseli where vistas are beautiful and the ability to get relatively close to elephants allows the use of shorter lenses.

Thoughts appreciated!

After much reflection, I decided that the best place for the SL on a wildlife photography trip was at home! As a result of that decision, the rest of this post is OT (for which I apologize).

Taking:

Canon 1Dx x 2, 5DSR x 1, 1DMkIV x 1 (IR-converted)

16-35/2.8L III, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 200/2L, 200-400/4L, ZO 85/1.4

(I dropped the ZD 15/2.8 because I bought the 16-35/2.8L III)

Hasselblad X1D + 45/3.5 and 90/3.2

Renting the X1D. I had toyed with the idea of buying but it wasn't available (good with the benefit of hindsight). When the Fujifilm GFX 50S was announced, I felt that despite its somewhat unattractive and chunky appearance, it seemed superior to the X1D. That's when good sense prevailed and I decided to rent - choosing the X1D because the GFX was not available.

• Like 1

• jaapv unpinned this topic