3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is early days I realise, but I wonder if we could please have a thread devoted to third party lens performance on the SL please.

In my case I would be interested in experiences with Zeiss F mount lenses (ZF/.2), particularly the 1.4/55 Otus, 1.4/85 Otus, and 2/135 Apo-Sonnar. But I also have a couple of C/Y lenses.

I'm sure there are others here interested, as well as those with Canon and Nikkor glass.

If I end up with and SL I will report first hand, but I haven't decided to pull the trigger yet (I had wished for higher resolution and IBIS), but there is a lot in this camera that appeals, including it looking like a good tool for some R glass I have. 

So, anyone with an SL and experience with third party lenses, please share your experiences. Thanks in advance.

• Like 4

I've been concentrating on R lenses to start. Ultimately, however, I have a bunch of Nikkors and a Nikon F to Leica M adapter that I can experiment with ...

Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S

Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI

Nikon 35mm f/2 AF-D

Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 (Pre-AI)

Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 (Pre-AI)

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AI-S

Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF-D ED-IF

Whether I ever get around to experimenting is another question. Maybe a couple of them ... like the 28/2, 50/1.2, and 105 macro. 

• Like 3

I have the Jono summer 2015 kit (R 35-70/4; R 60/2.8 Macro; R 90/2 Asph) but I don't think there are many questions left about their strengths and weaknesses.  I plan to exercise the R 100/2.8 APO Macro and the M 18/3.8 asph.  I also have some 3rd party M lenses:  CV15 mark I, CV 21/3.5, Zeiss Biogon 21 (these two were 28 mm-eff on my M8), and a very contrasty old M 24/2.8 and M 135/3.4 APO Telyt. Also, the CV50/1.5. Does anyone at this site have the R 15/2.8 asph?  Anyway, I'll try to shoot 'em all, and share any interesting results.

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 4

I haven't delved into my M lenses at all yet. Actually, I'm most interested to do some shooting with the Summilux 35 v2 and the Hektor 135/4.5, but I think the 'Lux is going off to DAG to get six-bit-coded first. 

I would like to experiment with a Noctilux ... but I don't own one.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Hrm.... I hadn't thought about doing 3rd party for the SL. Interesting idea! My guess is that the Otus line are SO darn near perfect optically that it wouldn't matter what body you slap those babies on and they would perform admirably. I currently shoot the Otus's on the Sony A7Rii and it is just as remarkable as on it's native D810 - if not more so. Being adapted onto the A7Rii, we know that lens profiles and data are not being relayed to the body and thus software correction of files are most likely not being done at all - yet the results are as flawless as can be. There'd be no reason for me to assume otherwise on the SL Let's hope this is the case!

Edited by Flu

Performance of the SL with focal length about 24mm and up is unquestionable fantastic -  the usability is les so IMHO. 

The view finder is fantastic sure but it is not easy to MF using focus peaking for longer  lenses; Contrast focus, stopping lenses up and down to compensate, compose and find exact depth of focus while fiddling with buttons on the camera.

Not for action shooting but for tripod static shooting they will sing.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Performance of the SL with focal length about 24mm and up is unquestionable fantastic -  the usability is les so IMHO. 

The view finder is fantastic sure but it is not easy to MF using focus peaking for longer  lenses; Contrast focus, stopping lenses up and down to compensate, compose and find exact depth of focus while fiddling with buttons on the camera.

Not for action shooting but for tripod static shooting they will sing.

Hmm. I don't find I need focus peaking or even magnification assist for longer lenses. I pulled out the Nikon 180/2.8 AF-D yesterday. I can nail focus right on the money with a moving car coming towards me or driving away from me at 30-40 mph with no problems whatever, same for a child running down the sidewalk towards me. 

It does take some practice, but I've been practicing manual focus since 1969...  :rolleyes:

The Nikon's internal focus is much faster than the Elmar-R 180/4, Elmarit-R 180/2.8, or Telyt-R 250/4 ... that's the limiting factor. On the R lenses, I can't turn the focusing ring fast enough in some circumstances. 

Edited by ramarren

Hmm. I don't find I need focus peaking or even magnification assist for longer lenses. I pulled out the Nikon 180/2.8 AF-D yesterday. I can nail focus right on the money with a moving car coming towards me or driving away from me at 30-40 mph with no problems whatever, same for a child running down the sidewalk towards me. 

It does take some practice, but I've been practicing manual focus since 1969...  :rolleyes:

Well, I've been saying this for ages.

I think that manual focusing with a good EVF is best done with practice . . rather than assistance - either form zooming in or from focus peaking. 

It's so seductive to turn on focus peaking . . or to zoom in - it's there, why not use it.

But I'm quite happy focusing on the screen on all of my lenses - especially with the splendid EVF on the SL

Throw away that crutch!

• Like 3

Well, I've been saying this for ages.

I think that manual focusing with a good EVF is best done with practice . . rather than assistance - either form zooming in or from focus peaking. 

It's so seductive to turn on focus peaking . . or to zoom in - it's there, why not use it.

But I'm quite happy focusing on the screen on all of my lenses - especially with the splendid EVF on the SL

Throw away that crutch!

Amen, Brother Jono! ;-) That said: With wide lenses in particular, magnification is very handy to nail critical focus, if that's important. Peaking is a great "get roughly in the ballpark" tool. 

• Like 2

I don't want to get into a discussion about being able to 'nail' MF for this or that... :rolleyes:

Maybe I was not clear...

For my type of photography I often need to have precise control over depth of focus; hit the exact plane of sharpness - Not just get a 'object' within depth of field.

I think it is difficult to use focus peaking on the SL; zooming in with the view finder and at the same time changing aperture to stop down before shooting.

Automatic stop down was invented some years ago for SLR... Maybe there will be an auto stop down adapter for the Leica L mount like for Sony A7 series for modern SLR Canon and Nikon AFS lenses.

• Like 1

This was a test with Canon TS-E lenses 17mm and 24mm MKII

Canon TS-E_17mm_1-30@f11

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Weather was changing quick and in the middle of the day during my testdrive with the camera

Images direct from the camera JPG and no Sharpening apply

Canon TS-E_24mm_1-25@f11

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fcomarin69
  • Like 2

I don't want to get into a discussion about being able to 'nail' MF for this or that... :rolleyes:

Maybe I was not clear...

For my type of photography I often need to have precise control over depth of focus; hit the exact plane of sharpness - Not just get a 'object' within depth of field.

I think it is difficult to use focus peaking on the SL; zooming in with the view finder and at the same time changing aperture to stop down before shooting.

Automatic stop down was invented some years ago for SLR... Maybe there will be an auto stop down adapter for the Leica L mount like for Sony A7 series for modern SLR Canon and Nikon AFS lenses.

Well, my opinion differs from yours. I find it much more difficult to obtain precise control over the exact plane of sharpness and the depth of the focused field with an optical viewfinder than with a high-resolution EVF. I can achieve it with either, but the EVF's constant brightness and versatility with focusing aids makes it much easier, regardless of the use of auto-diaphragm or not. 

It's ok to disagree.  B)

IMO, the larger reason to implement auto-aperture-stop-down is to extend the metering range of the camera system. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

He he, my bad again ;)

I was not comparing it to an OVF of a DSLR and using MF.

I was thinking of using a dedicated AFS lens meant for the job - not sticking a 3rd party lens on the SL as suggested in the Subject field.

Newer mind I think everybody got it now!

By all means use your M, R and whatever lenses on the SL it's loads of fun! Highly recommended! but do prepared to slow down things compared to a Pro DSLR with native lenses :D

Sorry :(

Thank you. What adapter(s) are you using to mount the Canon lenses? All of my R lenses are Leitaxed to Canon EF...around 15 in all, along with a full range of Canon/Zeiss lenses, so I am searching for an adequate solution. 

Weather was changing quick and in the middle of the day during my testdrive with the camera

Images direct from the camera JPG and no Sharpening apply

Canon TS-E_24mm_1-25@f11

attachicon.gifCanon TS-E_24mm_1-25@f11-2.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. What adapter(s) are you using to mount the Canon lenses? All of my R lenses are Leitaxed to Canon EF...around 15 in all, along with a full range of Canon/Zeiss lenses, so I am searching for an adequate solution. 

I used a Fotodiox EOS to Leica M and the M to T.

• Like 1

Anyone tried the Novoflex adapters?  (Eg, for Nikon; I assume that Sony FE lenses won't mount as they will need electronics to work the diaphragm)

I have a Novoflex Contax CX/Y to Leica M. It is beautifully made and has no movement on the SL with the M to T adapter. The only downside is that it has no tripod support on it. When I first got it, Novoflex said they would be making a ring mounted tripod support in due course but they never have. My Contax lenses work very well on the SL although the 28-85 Vario Sonnar, even though excellent is a bit surplus to requirements now with the 24-90 in my possession. The 300/600/1200mm Tele Tessar modular kit, where I could never get really sharp shots with the M240 and either the 600 or 1200, now springs to life on the SL and produces very sharp images with only a touch of pincushion distortion and a tiny amount of CA, both easily correctable in Capture One or Photoshop. 

I have a Novoflex Contax CX/Y to Leica M. It is beautifully made and has no movement on the SL with the M to T adapter. The only downside is that it has no tripod support on it. When I first got it, Novoflex said they would be making a ring mounted tripod support in due course but they never have. My Contax lenses work very well on the SL although the 28-85 Vario Sonnar, even though excellent is a bit surplus to requirements now with the 24-90 in my possession. The 300/600/1200mm Tele Tessar modular kit, where I could never get really sharp shots with the M240 and either the 600 or 1200, now springs to life on the SL and produces very sharp images with only a touch of pincushion distortion and a tiny amount of CA, both easily correctable in Capture One or Photoshop. 

They made the ASTAT-NEX and ASTAT-MFT tripod mounts for adapters to those mounts ... If the Contax CX/Y is the same diameter as one of them, it should interchange. 

• Like 2

• jaapv unpinned this topic