Slow start up?

LeicaGuy2014

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone noticed an irregular pattern of occasional slow startups? I'm not talking about "Card Search" on the OLED display, which isn't too long of a wait, but rather, I see "Search" on that display. I assume it's searching for Wifi networks, but I've currently set wlan to "off" ... i've timed it from cold start at 7 secs, which is waaay too long. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

do you have a smaller card to try? Maybe its the 128gb. I don't have the issue and I have both turned on.

Im using 16GB and 32GB cards.

Likewise, I have a pair of Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G 95Mbps cards in the SL, with WLAN and GPS off; I'm not seeing this problem. 

On startup, the camera has to find out how much space is available in each card, and apparently the FAT files that are still used require tracing through a lot of stuff to give that information.  And I think the speed to write to a card and the speed to read things out again are different, with upload much slower.  So it's hard to know what is the effective speed on startup, but bigger is always slower to start up.

scott

The issue on my SL is 7.5 second startup from sleep or power off. This is only with manual lenses (M or R) with the Jumbo auto focus on it, it's only 1.5 seconds to start up. The two cards I've tried are 64 and 32 gig. Both fast cards. (The SL is rated at 100 Mbit write speed.) 

This slow start up really bothers me. When using this supposedly "Pro camera" in a pro situation, I needed it to go to sleep quite often because I was shooting a lot over a 6 hour shoot. I needed the  two batteries to last. 

I'm glad that others have the same problem. I will try smaller slower cards to see if I can improve my situation. 

I feel I should have waited until at least the first firmware fix had come out. 

However I am very satisfied with the quality of the images from the SL.

On startup, the camera has to find out how much space is available in each card, and apparently the FAT files that are still used require tracing through a lot of stuff to give that information.

Sorry. That is not how SD cards work. Not at all.

The issue on my SL is 7.5 second startup from sleep or power off. This is only with manual lenses (M or R) with the Jumbo auto focus on it, it's only 1.5 seconds to start up. The two cards I've tried are 64 and 32 gig. Both fast cards. (The SL is rated at 100 Mbit write speed.) 

Mine takes about  4-5secs from start up and wakeup to first shot. I'm also using just M and R lenses, and don't have the SL zoom. I'm not looking for the same start up speed as I am from the M (which is too slow at 1.5-2 sees) but it would be nice if it was quicker. lt sounds like it is related to lens type. I'm using a pair of Lexar 64 gb fast cards.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Same thing here, my SL averages 3-4 seconds using two 64GB Lexar 150MB/s cards in backup mode.

There is no difference with M-lenses or with the 24-90 zoom.

I do not think this has anything to do with the card, as the camera stores images in the internal buffer, and than write to the card after processing.

I think this relates to how the firmware is written.

The firmware should prioritize shooting and just ignore stuff like GPS and WiFi immediately after power on.

On my Nikon D810, with the same card, the camera is ready to shoot with no perceptible delay, i.e. less than 50 milliseconds.

Best regards

Trond

Edited by trond

I can switch on and shoot in less than a second with the 24-90 attached ......

..... yet again we have the same variability that was noted with the M240 ...... which to date no-one has adequately explained.

Apart from the menu settings the only other variable .... despite what some others have said ...... is the card(s) in use.

I noticed a significant speed-up after I formatted (fully) my Sandisk Extreme-Pro U3 250mb 16gb cards with SD formatter .... which I had to do, as formatting them in camera increments the folder number every time you do it 

ps.    these cards as a result are virtually empty ...... if the delays are due to reading the FAT table or card integrity verification then this time may slow as they clog up with files/errors etc .... which would prove this is the source of the issue.

Edited by thighslapper

Mine takes about  4-5secs from start up and wakeup to first shot. I'm also using just M and R lenses, and don't have the SL zoom. I'm not looking for the same start up speed as I am from the M (which is too slow at 1.5-2 sees) but it would be nice if it was quicker. lt sounds like it is related to lens type. I'm using a pair of Lexar 64 gb fast cards.

Just measured as accurately as I can (finger on the shutter, switch on, first shot timed on mobile phone stopwatch).

3-3.5 secs from startup.

Lexar Professional 64gb SDXC cards, formatted with SD Formatter, then reformatted in camera after each download, empty for the test.

GPS and WLAN off.

M lens (6 bit) on the camera, Leica M-T adapter.

Edit: and the same time for wake-up

Edited by LocalHero1953

As suggested above, I would format your cards with SD formatter doing the full wipe and reformat before formatting in the camera. It certainly will not do any harm. I have just timed my SL. For a totally cold start up (been off since yesterday morning), it was 1.4 seconds with the 24-90 fitted. I switched off and changed to a 50 Nocti. Turn back on and start up was virtually instant. I put this down to the camera not needing to recharge internal capacitors from the battery in the voltage stabilisation system and other parts of the electronic suite, rather than the change of lens. There should be no difference between cameras but of course, the difference between should and does is often wide on Leica electronics. 

Wilson

PS I am using Lexar Professional 64GB UHS-II U3 150 MB/s cards in both slots. 

PPS GPS is on but wifi is off.

Edited by wlaidlaw

As suggested above, I would format your cards with SD formatter doing the full wipe and reformat before formatting in the camera. It certainly will not do any harm.

Technically it does to harm because full overwrite causes more wear than normal writes to the card, however the cards have (or should have) such an enormous write cycle capacity I doubt anyone here will be effected.