Leica R3

earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I've posted already, my R3 started playing up. The 1/1000, and now the 1/500th speeds don't always fire correctly - the shutter works but they don't actually expose the frame. 

I found a service manual for the Minolta XE which is essentially the same camera, and the trouble shooting section includes advise for when the top shutter speeds malfunction, so it would appear to be a 'known' problem and on the face of it, fixable. The problem is that it's not really worth paying £300 for a repair to a camera that is only worth  £100. 

I saw an auction with an R3 the other day so decided to bid. For £60 I got an R3 body, original case, Tamron Zoom lens and a Tamron Leica adaptor, oh and a small Nikon bag. The Leica also had a dioptre lens fitted. 

On first inspection the camera looked OK - used but not abused. Then I noticed that the 'window' on the pentaprism was pushed in (for illuminating the shutter speed in the viewfinder). I realised there was no battery power so unscrewed the battery chamber fearing leaked batteries but I found an empty chamber and no contact 'prong' - WTF!! 

Gutted, I decided to 'explore' the camera. I removed the face plate and glued the speed window back in place. I removed the base plate but realised to get to the battery unit would require complete dismantling of the camera. 

I was resigned to selling it on for spares, but wondered, if the contact had been broken off if I could somehow make a connection to it with wire? 

I cut some wire and bunched it up, pushed it through the battery chamber and screwed the batteries back in. It was a really long shot and I didn't expect it to work………but it did! Suddenly the camera sprung into life! I daren't remove the batteries now in case it doesn't work again but on first inspection the shutter is working fine on manual and auto.  

I need to replace the foam seals, which is pretty much expected and i have the kits, and will run a film through it. My worry now is when I have to replace the batteries in case i can't make the wire 'fudge' work again!! 

That's my worry - when it comes to changing batteries I won't be able to make it work again! But now I know the shutters working it would be worth having it repaired as it's just a case of soldering a contact strip on. 

I'm going to put a roll of film through it today. It's especially pleasing to think that I've 'saved' an R3 which was probably destined for the parts bin! 

• Like 1

Here's a pic of the bargain R3. The ERC that came with it is almost like new, I suspect the seller purposely found a case for the camera to deter people from checking the battery chamber - I was bidding online so had no chance anyway! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whatever you do, hang on to the Tamron adaptor. I gather the Leica ones are very hard to come by.

I have a couple already - Tamron adaptall lenses are mostly very good quality especially the SP range. The 90mm was always very highly regarded, as good as any other. Of course they can all be picked up so cheaply today!