Problem with New Sensor and Firmware v 1.204

gregkoz1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Need the help of this Forum & Leica Tech Support.

I purchased a beautiful M9-P a few days ago from an authorized Leica Dealer in New Jersey.  This M9 was sent to Leica and had sensor replaced and was CLA'd on 10-14-15.

Came in - mint condition to me.  Imagine my excitement after 10 years of not having a Leica!

PROBLEM:

The camera will NOT generate DNG files.  It has a menu selection for "Compressed" or "Uncompressed" DNG.  Doesn't matter what choice I make - it only saves 5megabit JPG files.

The camera has v1.204 firmware.   Leica's support website only shows v1.202 as the latest.

HELP! - I want the nice 18MP sized DNG files!

Could not see the older download at Leica websites, but looks as if you could try it here: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SCANNER-Digital-CAMERA-WEBCAM/Leica/Leica-M9-Camera-Firmware-1202.shtml#download

If he has the "new" sensor, he can't downgrade the firmware.  It is my understanding that 1.204 is specific to the new replacement sensor.

If the new sensor is basically the old one with a different front glass cover, why does it need a new firmware version?

Very slightly different light transmission through a different glass coating. The corrections and processing are different.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you want to do that ?

The colour values would be all wrong

I don't want to do it, just curiosity, if the new firmware is specifically and only for new sensors, I wonder how Leica will manage if they need to release a new firmware for the camera with old sensors. Edited by MaDeVa

Why would you want to do that ?

The colour values would be all wrong

The Leica customer care in Wetzlar has updated the firmware of my M9-P with 1.204.
My M9-P has the old sensor, but the Customer Care states that the 1.204 can also be installed with the old sensor. It's incredible. This is really strange. I'm looking for an explanation!
Edited by albertospa

The Leica customer care in Wetzlar has updated the firmware of my M9-P with 1.204.

My M9-P has the old sensor, but the Customer Care states that the 1.204 can also be installed with the old sensor. It's incredible. This is really strange. I'm looking for an explanation!

Well that's new, are you sure they didn't replace your sensor :)

Actuallly the differences are not that big, well within the tolerance span of most subjects and photographers.

Sorry, tapatalk posted for me ......

Not sure colour profiles work in the sense that there is a colour shift towards the edges of the sensor which I am not sure that Lightroom can replicate

Although my skills are not great in this area, since I have never managed to get the 240 to look like the M9/M-E ....

Edited by colonel