Westlich Auction

I picked up a couple of items that I wanted. Prices were somewhat 'soft' on the mid-level collectibles but the really desirable stuff still went for good prices. Westlicht estimates tend to be rather 'full' and some of the modern sets went for less than the estimated range. My view is that anyone who is buying modern digital cameras, apart from prototypes, is taking something of a gamble investment-wise as the long term value is difficult to determine.  The sale of the day was the Nikon 6.2 mm Fisheye which went for €156,000 (including premium) as against an estimated range of €35,000-€45,000.

William

Thanks Jerzy. I have been thinking of going sometime as it is almost twenty years since I last visited the lovely city of Vienna. The only Westlicht Auction I have actually attended was the one in Wetzlar for the Leica 100th anniversary. It was the only Westlicht Auction, I have participated in, where I did not make a purchase. Perhaps I am a braver bidder behind a keyboard. 

William

I went there sometimes recently because I went every year in Wienerneustadt for shooting tournament.
People in the shop are very friendly, the shop is full of attractive stuff and the more interesting is the museum.
For me Vienna is one of the most attractive city with a lot of places to visit and enjoy.

• Like 2

I went there sometimes recently because I went every year in Wienerneustadt for shooting tournament.

People in the shop are very friendly, the shop is full of attractive stuff and the more interesting is the museum.

For me Vienna is one of the most attractive city with a lot of places to visit and enjoy.

J.C., it's a pity you couldn't have joined us for the One Challenge. I definately want to visit Vienna again ideally when the weather will be a little better!

the shop is full of attractive stuff and the more interesting is the museum.

Btw, being in Vienna you might want to visit Mint & Rare in Kaiserstrasse, around a corner of Leica Shop. Two guys, formerly working for Leica Shop opened there their own store this August, They do not have the quantity/quality of Leica Shop yet, however in my opinion prices are lower there for comparable stuff. It is not marketing what I am doing now, I have no connection to them, just thought it might be interesting for you.

Btw, being in Vienna you might want to visit Mint & Rare in Kaiserstrasse, around a corner of Leica Shop. Two guys, formerly working for Leica Shop opened there their own store this August, They do not have the quantity/quality of Leica Shop yet, however in my opinion prices are lower there for comparable stuff. It is not marketing what I am doing now, I have no connection to them, just thought it might be interesting for you.

I looked at them on eBay a few months ago, and found this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leitz-Leica-M39-Hektor-2-5-5cm-Chrome-/141784758285?hash=item210307b80d:g:wbYAAOSwKIpWBYTL

Look carefully and a description of "mint" seems as exaggerated as the price, especially when the same lens (no. 178028) was bought (also on eBay from another seller) for about half the price, and a more sober description, earlier this year.  Alas, I cannot call up the earlier listing on eBay now.

My gut told me to stay away. 

the same lens (no. 178028) was bought (also on eBay from another seller) for about half the price, and a more sober description, earlier this year.  Alas, I cannot call up the earlier listing on eBay now.

My gut told me to stay away. 

Big shops are the firsts to surf on the web, just to see their feedback over 3000 when they won an auction on Ebay

A lot of them are on Ebay also duplicating their own pages

Big shops are the firsts to surf on the web 

A lot of them are on Ebay also duplicating their own pages

Understandable - but in this case the lens went from being described by its original seller as "ok" to being called "mint" - for double the price.

Yes, Mint and Rare is a top serious shop which is Leica Shop as well, of course.

Never a problem with Joe Geyer and his team (mintandrare).

While a small store right across the street from Westlicht is just great. Walked out with a very unusual Linhoff optical viewfinder - for a song.