Quandary

Downtown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm downsizing and looking for a nice portable digital rangefinder style camera primarly for travel. I currently use a Canon D1x which I now find very difficult to pack around given the plethora of heavy lenses. That being said I was initially attracted to the Q but find the fixed 28mm is just a little to wide and restrictive. I love the new SL and seem to always find ways to justify it but truth be told I find the new lenses bulky and over size. The flexibility of being able to use quality lenses appeals to me greatly and perhaps the SL with a 35 & 50 mm Lux's might just change my mind but I still think I'm kidding myself given portability. As a side note I would need to build a new stable of  lenses to go with the camera. Knowing that a lot of people will be upgrading to the SL gives good opportunity for used Leica product but Some of the past reviews have been less than stellar! Seeing the SL is so cutting edge I feel that it's almost a step backwards going to anything else? Suggestions would be appreciated as I need to shut my mind off : )

As you've already decided on a rangefinder the SL is out of the question. Your choices are M 240 or M 262, (or a colourless variant, but that's only for special people), all you need to decide is whether you want the option of verifying the accuracy of your rangefinder or not. M 240 with live view makes that easy. It's impossible with the M 262.

As for the "less than stellar reviews" I can only assume they are trolls.

Welcome to the forum :). What do you mean by "rangefinder style"? A true rangefinder or an EVIL? If you want a true rangefinder your choice is limited to M cameras. If you prefer an EVIL allowing the use of small lenses, both Sony alphas and Leica SL can use M lenses but the Sonys must have their sensor modified by Kolari Vision. IQ wise, the best cameras for M lenses will remain M cameras anyway. 

Welcome to the forum :). What do you mean by "rangefinder style"? A true rangefinder or an EVIL? If you want a true rangefinder your choice is limited to M cameras. If you prefer an EVIL allowing the use of small lenses, both Sony alphas and Leica SL can use M lenses but the Sonys must have their sensor modified by Kolari Vision. IQ wise, the best cameras for M lenses will remain M cameras anyway. 

On a recent vacation, I noticed my M9 had the dreaded sensor corrosion problem, so I picked up a Sony a6000 and M lens adapter.  It worked fine with my M lenses, and I got a lot of good shots.  I didn't know about the Kolari Vision modification.  Their website focuses on IR conversion, but I'm not interested in that.  Could you elaborate a bit about the Sony modification?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kolari Vision replaces the thick sensor stack of A7 bodies by a thinner one. They call this "Thin Filter" upgrade or conversion.

http://kolarivision.com/product/sony-a7-series-thin-filter-legacy-lens-upgrade/

http://kolarivision.com/product/sonya7sconverted/

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/01/a-thinner-sensor-stack

lct, very interesting information.  I notice their modifications apply to full frame A7 bodies; mine is the APS size a6000.  Now that my M9 has been repaired, the Sony is relegated to backup.  I got some reasonably good results with the a6000 and M lenses, but wonder if you have heard any modifications that apply to the a6000?

Having just acquired a Leica T, I decided to try a quick comparison.  I set up both the T and Sony a6000 up identically -- ISO 100, AWB=cloudy, manual 1/200 sec with my 18mm SEM mounted via M adapter and focused at exactly the same distance, f 3.8 wide open, tripod mounted.  In other words, any difference should be limited to the sensors (and perhaps any back focus).  The resultant images show an advantage for the T even with a megapixel disadvantage (16 mp for the T; 24 mp for the a6000).  The Sony had more fringing, especially at the edges:

Leica T image

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica T inset

Sony a6000 image

Sony a6000 inset

This is not a scientific test, but I conclude that the best body for M lenses is the M.  The T comes in second, and anything else third, although the small and light a6000 is a reasonable backup choice.

• Like 1