CS5 on MAC

leica dream

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very non technical and cautious about trying IT things.

I am changing gradually from a PC to a MAC OSX.  I use CS5 on my PC but Adobe will not supply me with a  MAC version unless I upgrade to latest version at my cost. My licence does allow two computers.  I am only a casual user and don't want to rent by the month, so the alternative will be to revert an Elements, or Lightroom which I do have loaded from when I bought my C-Lux earlier this year. I am familiar with CS5, but maybe I should bite the bullet and start using Lightroom instead. The thought of ditching my expensive CS5 is not attractive either.

Anyway, is there anybody out there who is IT knowledgeable who can advise me what would happen if I try loading my CS5 CD into my MAC.  OK, I know it will not blow up, but I don't want to corrupt anything.

I don't know what to do for the best.

Advice & Suggestions from those of you with experience would be very welcome.

Richard

I'm not too techie, so take what I say with the usual grain of salt.

Load it on, try it, you can't hurt, nor corrupt. However, the CD you speak of, it is PC, or Mac? If PC, then it won't work, obviously.

I use CS6, and LR5. I would think to ditch completely CS5 or CS6 would be a difficult decision, I use both.

Gary

It's no use to try your CD with Windows versions on your MAC.

Download the MAC version of CS5 here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-product-downloads.html

CS5 Master collection, I suppose.

After you installed it, you should be able to activate it with your Serial number, providing your licence does allow for use on two computers.

I don't understand why adobe wouldn't direct you to that download page. 

As you can see by the address, it's an adobe page.

By the way, I did exactly this same thing for LR when I switched to MAC some time ago.

Photoshop CSx licensing is specific for Windows or OS X. To activate a copy of Photoshop on OS X, you need an OS X license for it. 

Photoshop CS5 is quite old now. I still have it on my system (yes, I run Mac) but have to say that I only very rarely use it anymore. Lightroom 6 suffices well for the vast majority of what I need to do in photo editing these days, and if I need a pixel editor I use smaller, less costly, more pointed tools like Flare 2 and Tonality Pro. Lightroom 6.3 has all the camera support for raw files up to the Leica SL now as well, quite a few more than Photoshop CS5 + the last version of Camera Raw that can run with it. 

Also, you can buy Lightroom 6 with a perpetual license still ... 

• Go to https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html?promoid=KLXLX .
  • Scroll to the very bottom of the page.
  • In the bottom right corner, last box, click on Buy Now.
  • If you already have an older copy of Lightroom, when you're checking out you can choose to buy the upgrade (you'll need the license key for your older version to activate the new version of Lightroom 6).
  • Once installed, use the Update command in the Help menu to download and install the latest version (Lightroom 6.3). 

That makes the most sense to me. Get the latest, correct software for your new Mac so you know it will work correctly, and learn it well. 

I have had a go, and yes, the MAC rejected the CD from my PC.

Next I tried BartD's idea of downloading from the Adobe site - I chose 5.5 Design Standard. With my pitiful internet speed it took almost 3 hours but it did complete. I got the .dmg file which I opened.

I did that and then saw that although the Install was listed there was nothing against it. I clicked anyway and got "Install cannot be opened you should eject the disk image", then in grey under that it said "Install is on the disk image <name of file.dmg> safari downloaded today. Two options - Cancel or Eject disk image.

All very strange to me...............any ideas from those who know?

Richard

I have had a go, and yes, the MAC rejected the CD from my PC.

Next I tried BartD's idea of downloading from the Adobe site - I chose 5.5 Design Standard. With my pitiful internet speed it took almost 3 hours but it did complete. I got the .dmg file which I opened.

I did that and then saw that although the Install was listed there was nothing against it. I clicked anyway and got "Install cannot be opened you should eject the disk image", then in grey under that it said "Install is on the disk image <name of file.dmg> safari downloaded today. Two options - Cancel or Eject disk image.

All very strange to me...............any ideas from those who know?

Richard

I think the download somehow failed and got corrupted.

But I wouldn't bother in downloading it again:  ramarren (post #4) says that the license for CS is dependent on the operating system (windows or mac)

This wasn't the case for LR but if it is for CS, then there's no point in trying to download the package again.

Time to make an inventory of what you use in CS5 and evaluate the alternatives, I think.

I am sure you are correct............always difficult to move forward but sometimes it really is the best way.

My guess is that Lightroom and CS both being Adobe products a good deal of the image manipulation stuff is duplicated between the two, so I shall still be able to use the theory for guidance from my Martin Evening CS5 book.

Grateful thanks for trying for me.

Richard

Without Bootcamp or Parallels to run windows,  you are out of luck.

PS is platform specific, windows or Mac.   IF you had a current version,  they would sell a platform swap for a small fee, $25.

LR is not a substitute for PS as it does far less, but does about the same as ACR.   

Elements is 8 bit and you get into trouble with gradations. Stay away.

Ditch Adobe and use Capture One or DXO.

In my opinion, $10 monthly is a pittance.