Firmware Update for Leica X Type 113

frankny212

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi from Hamburg,

I am new to the Leica Forum and cameras. I just bought a Leica X Type 113. (Very happy with it)  :rolleyes:

I am coming from a Fujifilm camera, where firmware updates are a regular thing. 

I noticed that the firmware is still 1.0 on my camera. Was there no update or did I miss something. 

Does anyone know of any rumours of an upcoming update?  

Thanks for your infos and help. 

Regards,

Frank

Hello Frank,

Welcome to the forum, it's a nice place where all manner of people gather and are very helpful.

I don't have the X (my addiction only runs X1, X-Vario, T, plus film). I was sure there had been a firmware update, but in checking the Leica site I cannot find any mention of an update so assume that what you have is all there is, until they put one out.

Enjoy the X, by all accounts it is a very nice camera.

Gary

• Like 1

hi guys,

thanks so much for your infos. I sent a message direct to Leica. They said that the firmware does not require a recent update. 

I am sure you would have a different answer. Lets hope they don´t just support the Leica T which has already update 1.4. They really try

to push this camera. 

In case I hear something I will post it. 

Best

hi guys,

thanks so much for your infos. I sent a message direct to Leica. They said that the firmware does not require a recent update. 

I am sure you would have a different answer. Lets hope they don´t just support the Leica T which has already update 1.4. They really try

to push this camera. 

In case I hear something I will post it. 

Best

There really aren't any bugs on this camera, hence no firmware update.  It is essentially the same camera as the X Vario, which received a major firmware update at the same time the X was originally released, and all of the improvements to the XV firmware are present in the original X113 release.

• Like 3

Another update today for the Leica T. Come on Leica show some love for the  Leica X. 

There is always stuff to improve and it is time that Leica shows some interest in the camera. 

I really hope they won´t ignore the camera in the future. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another update today for the Leica T. Come on Leica show some love for the  Leica X. 

There is always stuff to improve and it is time that Leica shows some interest in the camera. 

I really hope they won´t ignore the camera in the future. 

The new 1.4 firmware for the T had bugs, and the new release is just a bug fix, not a feature upgrade.

What bugs are there in the X firmware?  Our X113 cameras are essentially the same as the X Vario, and when our cameras were released the X Vario got a firmware update bringing it up to par on features and operation with the then-new X113.  

Our AF mechanism, being the same as the X Vario, is a year older than that of the T, as are the rest of the camera's computer components.  So what exactly are you looking for in a firmware upgrade?  Maybe AF speed can be improved, maybe it is already limited by the hardware.  Power-up time is already very fast on the X and X Vario, the T's firmware upgrade merely brought it up to parity with what we already have.

The few remaining "problems" are things like disabling the image review not working, but that still doesn't work on the T, nor does the T now allow shooting in DNG only without a JPEG.

I am absolutely delighted with the X.  Mine has never frozen, never misbehaved and other than sluggish AF in poor light, its faster than I need it to be. I can't think of a single bug other than the inability to disable image review or the inability to shoot DNG only, and those issues have been with us since the X1's original release and will likely be there for the X (and the T) until the last update to the last model.

Not ignoring the camera, more they got it right the first time.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the review bug to be solved and also the bugs I filed about GPS. No matter how I try, I cannot get the GPS feature to work on my X typ 113; it never connects to the GPS satellites. Also the "focus lock acquired" LED signal has never worked. 

The camera is delightful, these bugs are minor, but I was hoping for a firmware update to solve these sorts of things. 

I'm waiting for the review bug to be solved and also the bugs I filed about GPS. No matter how I try, I cannot get the GPS feature to work on my X typ 113; it never connects to the GPS satellites. Also the "focus lock acquired" LED signal has never worked. 

The camera is delightful, these bugs are minor, but I was hoping for a firmware update to solve these sorts of things. 

I think the GPS feature never really worked for anyone on the X.  My guess is that it isn't compatible with the GPS feature, only with the EVF functions.  T users have problems getting GPS to work as well, and the new firmware did nothing to improve it.  Sounds like a crappy GPS system more than a firmware problem with the cameras.

• 4 weeks later...

Since yesterday I'm a happy owner of a X 113. I don't care about the GPS-problem referred to in previous posts, but I would like to see an updated firmware that allows me to chose "DNG only". I don't understand the logic of forcing me to have jpg-files that I don't use. Even my old D-lux 5 I allows me to shoot "raw only" (I have a M 240 as well), and I use LR for post processing to the result I want. OK, I know, it is simple to handle. Just minimize the jpg to lowest quality in  camera (to save memory space) and don't import them in LR, but it would simplify my workflow a bit.

• Like 1

Since yesterday I'm a happy owner of a X 113. I don't care about the GPS-problem referred to in previous posts, but I would like to see an updated firmware that allows me to chose "DNG only". I don't understand the logic of forcing me to have jpg-files that I don't use. Even my old D-lux 5 I allows me to shoot "raw only" (I have a M 240 as well), and I use LR for post processing to the result I want. OK, I know, it is simple to handle. Just minimize the jpg to lowest quality in  camera (to save memory space) and don't import them in LR, but it would simplify my workflow a bit.

Not going to happen, something to do with how the cameras handle the image review (JPG only).  Leica X, T and now Q have complained about this behavior since the first X1 was released.

Not going to happen, something to do with how the cameras handle the image review (JPG only).  Leica X, T and now Q have complained about this behavior since the first X1 was released.

Strange. They manage to do it in the two cameras I have used so far (D-Lux and M 240), both produce in-camera jpg for the screen preview without having them on the memory card. But I'm not a software developer...

Strange. They manage to do it in the two cameras I have used so far (D-Lux and M 240), both produce in-camera jpg for the screen preview without having them on the memory card. But I'm not a software developer...

The D-Lux is a Panasonic with completely different operating system.  The M 240 is also a completely different camera with a completely different operating system.  The X series, T and Q are related and use similar operating systems, and all are plagued by the need to record DNG+JPG or JPG only.  It has always been that way, and probably always will.

• Like 1

The D-Lux is a Panasonic with completely different operating system.  The M 240 is also a completely different camera with a completely different operating system.  The X series, T and Q are related and use similar operating systems, and all are plagued by the need to record DNG+JPG or JPG only.  It has always been that way, and probably always will.

Any idea why the jpeg quality out of the Q is so poor, while quite decent in the X 113 and X vario?

• Like 1