Having fun with 3D-printer

mmx_2

So, here is v3 (skiping v2 since it turned out to have some flaws :) )

22609153634_84d8ce4890_b_d.jpg

It's 33mm thick in total and each side is 16mm thick. I will see if it's possible to print it, it might be tricky.

If you think you can make this thing work double ended and with a divider I would be interested in acquiring two of them.  I would be happy to PayPal you the cost, but I bet you could increase sales significantly, if you even want to do so, by using eBay.

I have the OpTech double version which is very heavy made, has the center divider, and has a rubber o ring for sealing.  Problem is it's not but 28mm deep overall and it's 65mm in diameter as opposed to 52mm for the Leica version.  It's just too big in diameter.

22669424374_6ab18a1cd6_z_d.jpg

23189492912_a784d8ee0f_z_d.jpg

It was possible to print (with a few tricks), however, the material is a little bit brittle, to at least the first 50 or so times it gets used small pieces are coming of. I think one needs to print it in ABS instead to get a better material. My machine is unfortunately not able to do this, but I'll try to find a supplier :). From principle it works ok. I'll put this one on field test as well and we will see how it goes :).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a lot of CAD-work... ;)

... maybe to be done with a better CAD tool, too

(sorry... I make great part of my living selling Catia... ;) a world full of FreeCAD users could be my nightmare... :) )

Apart jokes, a fine and just a bit more complicated work could be the back cap for lenses like the Super Angulon 21 and 1st Elmarit 28...

And then... HOODS !! What's the minimun thickness you can achieve, with decent robustness and surface's smoothness ?

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Hehe, you are absolutely right about CAD-tool, it's very limited compared to commercial stuff, but price/performance is really good with FreeCAD:).

The printer can print down to 0.1mm in layer (Z-axis) thickness and but the XY resolution is only about 0.15mm. So minimum "wall thickness" with some sturdiness is about 0.4mm. More expensive printers have better resolution but the technology is currently limited to about 0.05mm in layer thickness and about 0.01mm in XY.

Yes a Super-Angulon one is on the list:). I have the lens and the original cover so my idea was to make both a "replacement cap" (basically just a copy of the original) but also a true replacement for the plastic bayonet inside the metal hood.

... maybe to be done with a better CAD tool, too

(sorry... I make great part of my living selling Catia... ;) a world full of FreeCAD users could be my nightmare... :) )

Apart jokes, a fine and just a bit more complicated work could be the back cap for lenses like the Super Angulon 21 and 1st Elmarit 28...

And then... HOODS !! What's the minimun thickness you can achieve, with decent robustness and surface's smoothness ?

Maybe you can sponsor me with a FOC licens of Catia and I'll print that M-A for you :D :D

I've thought of painting back caps in fluorescent orange as this would mean that they would be more difficult to lose! A mix of fluorescent orange and luminous might be worth considering.....

Another thought which might be worth pursuing is a back cap with an integrated hot shoe to hold viewfinder to wide-angle lens. I'd certainly find this useful.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

I've thought of painting back caps in fluorescent orange as this would mean that they would be more difficult to lose! A mix of fluorescent orange and luminous might be worth considering.....

Another thought which might be worth pursuing is a back cap with an integrated hot shoe to hold viewfinder to wide-angle lens. I'd certainly find this useful.

Interstesting idea with the hot shoe, I'll draft something up :). You mean on the outside then I guess?

Instead of a double ended cap with a centre partition, would it be easier to modify the single cap so that they lock together?

From a printing perspective, yes, this was my first idea of a double cap, however as somebody pointed out, it must have a centre divider in order to work as a cap when only one lens is attached.

• Like 1

The weekend has been busy :). Super-Angulon cap is now ready and printed very well (had to add some minor supports).

23048163819_c1e4211fbe_b_d.jpg

The next step is to make a tru "spare part replacement" for the plastic bayonett inside the original cap.

I also decided to draw up the front cap:

23048239169_b262122df1_b_d.jpg

Which also printed very nicely:

23307778082_cca1dc0ef0_b_d.jpg

I got the tip from a 3D-printer expert to try a different material (TPU) which is a little bit more flexible and has better temperature resistance than PLA which I currently use. All of them are "thermo plastics", just out different kind. One could of course also use ABS which is exactly the same material used by Leica and all other camera manufactures for this type of applications but ABS is quite tricky to use in a 3D-printer and is better used for injection molding. PLA is not good for injection molding but extremly good for 3D-printing and has similair mechanical properties as ABS. But I'll report back once the trial with TPU is finished :).

And for those who are interested in acquiring my prints, it will come to that point also, I just need to feel secure enough that my design is solid enough and the material is good enough for this use, then everything will be available :)

Edited by mmx_2

From a printing perspective, yes, this was my first idea of a double cap, however as somebody pointed out, it must have a centre divider in order to work as a cap when only one lens is attached.

Sorry amigo, I wasnt very clear what I was visualizing.... I can just imagine the communication problems Id have if I had my own 3d printer.  ;-)

I was picturing single caps, but the top of it (the flat part on the outside) possibly some modification so it could thread or interlock with another cap. This way, you could use the cap as a single, or clip it to another cap for "stacking" 2 lenses together.

• Like 1

Sorry amigo, I wasnt very clear what I was visualizing.... I can just imagine the communication problems Id have if I had my own 3d printer.  ;-)

I was picturing single caps, but the top of it (the flat part on the outside) possibly some modification so it could thread or interlock with another cap. This way, you could use the cap as a single, or clip it to another cap for "stacking" 2 lenses together.

a sliding dovetail joint?

• Like 1