Depth of Field vs 35mm frame

skimmel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica S sensor is about 56% bigger than "full frame."  Given that, for the same field of view and f-stop, I'm trying to get a sense for the DOF with the S compared with full frame. (Please note, I am specifying using a different focal length to get the same field of view at the same distance -- I realize that DOF is not directly due to sensor size or focal length).  

I borrowed an S last week and it seemed to me (totally a gut sense) that DOF with the S was substantially less than I expected.

This site has a great calculator for DOF equivalent, but it doesn't include the S sensor size:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm 

If one used 6x4.5 the DOF is about 1 and 2/3 stop different compared with full frame.  What would be the estimate for the S sensor size?

Thanks.

The S sensor is 1.25x the linear dimensions of "FF". To a good approximation, getting "the same" picture from, say, an SL and an S, the S would need 1.25x the focal length (to get the same FoV), 1.25x the f-number (to get the same DoF), and 1.25x the ISO (to compensate for the smaller aperture given that the shutter speeds would have to be equal to match motion blur). This is getting "the same" in the sense of "difficult to distinguish at the same print size" NOT "looking the same at 100% on a monitor".

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 2

Not questioning your math, Matt, but why is it that a 70mm S lens is the equivalent of a 50mm FF lens (1.4x). Do they not have the same FoV, or am I missing something here?

Alvin

It is not the equivalent of a 50mm, it is the equivalent of a 56mm (56 = 70 * 0.8 or 70 = 56 * 1.25) as Matt explained.

• Like 1

The S sensor is 1.25x the linear dimensions of "FF". To a good approximation, getting "the same" picture from, say, an SL and an S, the S would need 1.25x the focal length (to get the same FoV), 1.25x the f-number (to get the same DoF), and 1.25x the ISO (to compensate for the smaller aperture given that the shutter speeds would have to be equal to match motion blur). This is getting "the same" in the sense of "difficult to distinguish at the same print size" NOT "looking the same at 100% on a monitor".

--Matt

Thanks Matt, so f 2.5 with an S-lens would be similar to f 2.0 on full frame, all else being equal (FoV, etc)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Confusing, isn't it? The nominal normal for FF 35mm is 43.3, (not 51mm) and for 30x45 it is 54mm.

We actually use a lens of ~51mm for FF 35, and 70mm for the S.

I especially appreciate that each sensor is proportioned alike - same ratios.

• Like 1

It *should* be - in that the size of an OOF distant light will be the same in both *prints*. How the two lenses handle the transition to OOF might be different. I have not done the study of real lenses - it's just math. And while math may not be the whole story, it's a good starting point.

Thanks.  My sense  -  it seemed to me that DOF with the S was narrower than I would expect.  Maybe it's the way the lenses handle transition to OOF.  For example, I have found that the 50 Apo for the M seems to have a different DOF-feel from shooting a summilux at f/2.0.

Guest chipcarterdc

I have no idea about the underlying math, but I find from experience that I need an aperture 1.5 stops smaller to get the equivalent DOF look on the Leica as as on a full-frame 35mm camera.  Thus, if aiming for the look of F8 on 35mm, I use F13 on the Leica S.  If I'm shooting at 5.6, I can pre-visualize that the DOF will look like F3.5(ish).  Etc.

Edited by chipcarterdc

I'm surprised that I've never seen a measurable test of OOF transition. You could take a row of small shiny spheres arranged from near to far and have one distant light. You'd get specular reflections from which you could see the dependence of CoC on distance from the focal plane. Even more abstract than brick walls!  B)

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

I'm surprised that I've never seen a measurable test of OOF transition. You could take a row of small shiny spheres arranged from near to far and have one distant light.  B)

Yes, that would be good for those who shoot a row of small shiny spheres arranged from near to far and have one distant light.

If I understand David Farkas' recent review, the issue of DOF is resolved very nicely on the 007. Just depress shutter release slightly and it will the limits of DOF will be readily seen on the top display.

According to the "math", the correct compensation for DOF should be about ONE stop, not 1.5...

Albert ;)  ;)  :D