M6 vs M7 used prices

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I have a question. In my search for a used m6, I have found that the prices are floating pretty high these days. Most people are asking between 1050-1500 USD for a decent used copy. This has left me a bit flummoxed as I have been seeing, over the past few weeks, a good number of M7's being sold for under 1500. This leaves me with the thought that maybe I should just get an M7. 

Am I missing something here? should I just jump on an M7? I know the debate of M6 vs M7 has been beaten to death pretty extensively, but most of the debate was centered around spending $1K more for the M7. Now that they are right in the same price range. Would it make more sense to just get the newer version?

A little about myself. I shoot weddings and editorial mainly and currently own an M240. I would like to have a personal film camera to use for family and friends and it makes sense to add a leica film to my setup. I always shoot full manual so the auto is unimportant to me. The meter would be nice but I tend to nail the exposure pretty often. 

Thanks in advance!

If you nail the exposure often and like to use full manual, maybe consider the M4-P :-)

I was recently pondering over getting either the M4-P, M6, or M7.

After a lot of reading, I concluded that the price difference was nominal between the M6 and M7, with the advantage of the M7 working in aperture priority mode (if that's important). But to me the aperture priority mode wasn't important (and I'm happy with an external light meter or nothing), so I saved a bit of money and went for an M4-P.

. I always shoot full manual so the auto is unimportant to me. The meter would be nice but I tend to nail the exposure pretty often. 

Thanks in advance!

So the M7 is not the right choice for you. Go for a late M6. Fully mechanically, reliable, stable prices.

So the M7 is not the right choice for you. Go for a late M6. Fully mechanically, reliable, stable prices.

Yes, the M7 features would then be a little redundant. That said, the need for batteries is a trivial matter (they last for 50+ rolls) and, other than the first run of bodies, the M7 does feature the less flare prone finder, a marginally quieter shutter and a brass top plate (if you like that sort of thing).

• Like 3

Thanks for your responses. In the past I have owned an m4p, and it worked reasonably well. It has been in the back of my mind too. Let's see if I can find one with a good price. I'll let you all know what I end up getting!

I hope to have something in the next couple of weeks.

If the built in meter isn't important your choice really comes down to which lenses you use, therefore which viewfinder/frames you need.

M2, M3, M4, M4-2, M4-p, M5 or M6/M6TTL will all work just as well.

The only reason I got an MP-4 after maxing out on earlier Ms was for the 75mm frame lines.

• Like 1

if you an M6, the later versions have upgraded meter & electronics vs earlier models. Had an M6 and found the flare annoying, and it flared more than M4. Never tried the M4P, but as Pico wrote, one reason for it is the 75mm framelines. The reason for an M7 is simply that you get the camera the M9 and M240 were essentially built on -- electronic with auto shutter. Working backwards, a film version of the digital camera you are now using (yes, evolution went in the opposite direction). If it's not important, I think the M4P is probably the best bargain out there. The M4, my favorite aside from the M-A I now have, is about as expensive as an M6. Go figure

• Like 1

A late model M7 already has the viewfinder upgrade, multicoated rangefinder windows and the newer shutter seals.  Plus you gain Auto exposure, DX reader and high speed sync if you use a flash.  It has the larger shutter speed dial which makes it easier to change speeds with the camera at eye level and it rotates in the same direction as the exposure arrows. It would make a nice companion to your M240.

Edited by madNbad

So I ended up grabbing an M4-P for a good price. Should be receiving it tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back in the film game! Considering there is a light meter iphone app, I think I should be pretty solid with exposures. In the end, I decided to start with the budget M and see how often I shoot. If I find myself missing exposures and shooting a great deal, then I can always get an M6/M7 later.

Thanks for the help!

Congratulations on the M4-P.

I got mine last week, and am about a third of a way through the first roll of Neopan 100 with it.

I think the M4-P is great, although I'm getting used to the sound of the shutter compared to the M9 and MM (sounds quicker).

I'm going to see how I go with it in terms of exposure (but I've never had any problems manually guessing or exposing with the iPhone light meter app with an Olympus 35 UC).

If down the line I find I really long for a bit of automation, I'll go for the M7.

My M4-P had no box, instructions, or flash socket caps, but I managed to pick them up on eBay or from DAG.

I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of your M4-P in the "Love M4-P" thread (I need to post mine there too!).

Edited by bobbywise

Why do you need a box? or instructions for that matter! LOL 

LOL, I did't need them, but I wanted it to have a nice (original) storage place when I'm not using it. Plus the instructions and flash socket caps "complete" it. It's kind of nice to have a "complete" camera with all it's packaging (hmmmm, maybe I have an obsession with packaging!). If I sell it on in the future, I would probably sell more easily. Having said that, I doubt I'll be selling it on --the chances are I'll be picking up a second M4-P..... I guess that's the disdvantage in film when you've got used to using digital.... The film is stuck at a certain ISO or type (colour or b/w) and you say to yourself, "oh if only I had a second body within a different film in it" !

• Like 3

I would also consider M4-2. If you get the 15XXXXX serial numbers and can inspect one before you buy - you can end up with a very good a cheap camera. I recently paid $800 for one that doesn't have a single scratch, hasn't been used at all and has been CLA'd. It's a great camera! 

On the original question - the key differences between an M6 and M7, which may explain the close prices, is that the M7 is battery-dependent, and a bit taller. Some people will pay more (relatively) for a smaller, lighter body, and to have something where all the shutter speeds work if the batteries die at an inconvenient moment, and can be serviced in the future by someone with a screwdriver, rather than an electronics degree.

People who favor film (in my experience from the store) favor "clockwork" cameras as well - just goes with the desire for less technology-dependence.

If I wanted a film body today, I'd be looking at an M6 .85x, or an M4-P (love my 75).

Edited by adan