Leica R 21-35 on Sony A7RII?

inglis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What experience do people have with the Leica R 21-35mm on either Sony A7R or A7RII cameras? 

I ask because I read one report elsewhere that suggested it might max out resolution wise at 24mp.

I am interested in this lens for a Leica R film camera, but would like to know if it could also work well with a Sony A7RII, and perhaps other cameras with increased MPs in the future. 

Any thoughts?

John

I don't know how this 21-35mm behaves on the A7RII, but on my A7II it is very good, better and well balanced than my 28-90mm.

Please keep it mind that you should be carefully checked the adapter before making a conclusion.

I've tried 3-4 different brands of adapters with just so so... quality (vignets a lot at 21mm or soft edges from 21 to 24mm) but with

a good adapter it should be more than fine from 24-35mm,at 21mm it is still very good a little bit dark corners which easily corrected

through Lightroom etc...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realise that this is highly off track, but I used a 16 to 21mm M on an A7ii and A7Rii and it was plenty sharp enough for modern small pixel size sensor digital cameras. If the 21-35 R is anything like it (and maybe with the SLR design more signal friendly?) I think it would be a good choice.

Thanks!

Reports on fredmiranda (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1387820/1) suggest that the M WATE, Wide Angle Tri-Elmar 16-21, is the best for wide coverage on Sony A7 cameras, even on the A7RII--and so small.

As Van Hai notes above, the R 21-35 is not supposed to be as sharp at the wide end, especially around the edges. I would go for the M 16-21, except that in my case I want to alternative between wide angle for street/architecture and then 35mm for the people I travel with!

The 21-35 seems wonderful for this purpose! 

• 1 month later...

While the R21-3 isn't a SEM 21/3,4mm but it's still very good at 21 mm.

I think, we (Leica Users) are a little picky when it comes to technical perfection of a lens, in the real world the R21-35@21mm still shows

Leica's DNA even on a Sony 7xxx.

The Zeiss Distagon 21/2,8mm ZF.2 was my most used lens in the past, while it's so big to take it with me all the time so looked at an alternative and made some comparision

between the Zeiss and the Leica R21-35mm.

My conclusion was the IQ of these two lenses are equal except that the Leica was a little darker at the corner but with neutral colour, the Zeiss has more punch at the colour department however the Leica was suprisingly more flare resistant than the Zeiss.

If you already have a R21-35mm so use it, there is no reason to look around in this focal range except you need more reach or some of your own requirements as autofocus etc... 

Here are some pictures taken with the R21-35mm: 1st.+2nd.@21mm; 3rd.@35mm 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

The 21-35R is the most used lens on my R9/DMR and results have always been excellent. If and when I acquire an SL 601 I'm hoping the 21-53R will be a good match - but to date have not seen any SL 601 / 21-35R images published. I'm aware that Jono disposed of his 21-35R because the WATE was superior when used on the M240 - but nobody seems to have tried the lens on the SL - as if it's a non-starter. But I'd be very surprised if the lens does not give a good account of itself when used on the SL. Time will tell.

dunk

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the posts and photos!

I have now acquired one and am looking forward to the summer, being able to use it on a Leica R 6.2 and Sony A7RII

Edited by inglis

• 7 years later...