Printing Help

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Epson P807 printer and I need some help printing in B&W.

Prior to doing a B&W print I switched from Photo Black to Matt Black, I then hit the print button and the printer automatically switched back to Photo Black.....Why would it do that?? and why would you used photo black over Matt Black??

Thanks in advance

PS I am using Epson Premium Luster paper

Short answer: probably because you are using a lustre (coated) paper. If the printer knows this, then it will use Photo Black (gives a glossy finish on coated papers).

Longer answer: why would you want to use a matt black on what is a semi-glossy paper? (unless you want a particular effect - I don't know - I haven't tried it - it might come out a bit mottled). Matt blacks are intended for matt papers and art papers; Photo Black for coated papers. You could probably force the printer to use matt black by digging into the profile and set-up in the Epson printer control software, but as long as it thinks it is using Epson Luster it might jump back to Photo Black.

I've used Photo Black on a matt paper by accident and it looked washed out. I've never done it the other way round. I suspect Matt Black is denser because it gets absorbed into the fibres, whereas Photo Black sits on top of the coating and doesn't need to be as dense. But I don't know why black is the only ink to make this distinction.

PS My experience is with an Epson 3000, not your printer.

Edited by LocalHero1953