Coming back to Leica

edward james

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After leaving when i broke my M8.2 and the cost of getting it fixed  I am coming back to Leica today Saturday i pickup my M9 what should i be worried about i hear the sensor has its issue, I am getting a used one  with less than 1500 actuations i have seen it looks well kept. will post some pics,

There are no worries.

If it should happen that your sensor gets corrosion in the future you send it to Leica who replace it with a new sensor designed to solve the problem, and you get back a fully serviced camera, for free.

Steve

Don't worry, get an M9 and enjoy it. I bought a used one a few weeks back. Had bad luck, the shutter died after five days. Leica replaced the shutter and replaced the sensor with the new version, both for free. The M9 is an amazing camera!

I'd be curious to see what both your experiences are with the M9. With used M 240 prices staying quite high, I'm increasingly flirting with the idea of getting an M9. I normally shoot with an M4-P for film and Fujis for digital. Pontus, did you find the M9's high ISO performance limiting? 

When I shot film 400 was fast enough for most situations, sometimes I pushed to 1600. With the M9 I usually don't go above 640, sometimes underexposing and bringing the exposure up in the computer. I've heard that it gives better results than shooting at higher ISOs but I haven't really compared myself. I've gone to 2500 one or two times just to try, and sure it's noisy compared to the Fuji X-Pro1 I had earlier. But usable, especially since I mostly do black & white.

I would say that I get consistently better pictures at medium ISOs compared to the Fuji. Better focus, less camera shake... More noise, but better shots. And that's what matters to me. :)

I have a bit of a Fuji problem...currently have three bodies including the XPro1. I love them but will likely get rid of at least one if I decide to go for an M9. I shoot with 400 film too, which seems very usable in most situations. The thing is, film puts you in a totally different mindset. With digital, I find myself wanting the highest ISO possible. This is especially true if I'm shooting a paid assignment.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why do you do so? Isn't it more logical to go for the optimal image quality that is compatible with a usable shutterspeed and chosen aperture?

With film I can understand preparing for any situation that one may encounter as one is locked in for 36 exposures. However, with digital one is very often able to choose a lower ISO value per frame

Anyway with careful exposure 1250 is still an optimal ISO value on the M9, 1600 quite acceptable and 2500 usable to get the shot.

• Like 1