I'm very impressed with this guy's loading ability and it works too!

Saw it. He messed around twice as much as the guy in the first video, which is why I was impressed with that vid in the first place.

I noticed that he handles the camera rather like someone with arthritis, or old hands would.

I would buy one!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

I've been using this method since the video was linked (thank you - not sure what I was doing befor to make it so hard). 

One thing I have noticed is a couple of times, the M-A has jammed at frame -1.  When I opened the back to see what was happening (resigning myself to losing a roll of Tri-X), I found that the top of the film, on the left hand side, was crimped at the holes, and jammed. It looks like my habit of being frugal when loading the tail (to get up to 39 frames per roll) doesn't really work with the M-A. I assume what I was doing was engaging only the bottom sprockets, and the film was somehow not engaging properly - that, or I haven't been pushing the canister in sufficiently to get the top of the film in place properly. 

Anyone else encountered this?

Edited by IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using this method since the video was linked (thank you - not sure what I was doing befor to make it so hard). 

One thing I have noticed is a couple of times, the M-A has jammed at frame -1.  When I opened the back to see what was happening (resigning myself to losing a roll of Tri-X), I found that the top of the film, on the left hand side, was crimped at the holes, and jammed. It looks like my habit of being frugal when loading the tail (to get up to 39 frames per roll) doesn't really work with the M-A. I assume what I was doing was engaging only the bottom sprockets, and the film was somehow not engaging properly - that, or I haven't been pushing the canister in sufficiently to get the top of the film in place properly. 

Anyone else encountered this?

I haven't but then I'm using an M6...not sure if they are identical in this regard.

Reading the fine manual sometimes sheds some light:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(from page 67 of MP user's instructions)

I have generally pushed the film up over the gate, then checked that I can feeth the teeth of the sprocket engaging the perforations in the film before closing up. This suggests, as does the video in the original post, that it isn't necessary and that the inner flange of the baseplate isn't there just to be light-tight, but to push the film up just the right amount. All these years and I never knew that!

Reading the fine manual sometimes sheds some light:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-11 at 7.37.26 PM.png

(from page 67 of MP user's instructions)

I have generally pushed the film up over the gate, then checked that I can feeth the teeth of the sprocket engaging the perforations in the film before closing up. This suggests, as does the video in the original post, that it isn't necessary and that the inner flange of the baseplate isn't there just to be light-tight, but to push the film up just the right amount. All these years and I never knew that!

I always am amazed by people who don't take the time to read a very small an amusing M6 /MP manual before using such a great camera. It's part of the fun IMHO of unrapping the present.