Carmel Mission

John Z. Goriup

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's been a couple of years since my summer of infatuation with California missions, but with the arrival of 'El Nino', the sky has become a lot more interesting and photogenic than the relentlessly clear, boring and featureless blue sky of the past three or four drought-years.

This image is one of the first of the Carmel Mission I've taken with my beloved 21mm f3.4 SEM, to enable me to include much more of the facade, but also reflects the unavoidable distortion lenses of this focal length highlight…….presenting a dilemma: does one tolerate the distortion to show the maximum of the best part of this historic edifice ( most visible in the cupola ), or does one forego the photo opportunity this lens offers and shoot with a 35 or 50mm optic, thus reducing the distortion but also significantly diminishing coverage. 

constructive criticism and comments are welcome,

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Thanks, this is a really nice image, these are remarkable buildings.

Distortion has been a major dilemma for me as I take a lot of architectural subjects like the  one you show and don’t want to post process to correct for barrel of pincushion effects.  Since my recent conversion to Leica digital I have been following many of the Leica photo postings. I’m seeing really wonderful photos by talented photographers that would be perfect in my estimation except for some distortion. It seems to me that Leica photographers in general seem to have a higher tolerance for slight distortion in favor of content. I am not being critical, only curious if this is a true statement.  

John,

the picture is excellent.

The discusssion about the distortion is tricky. I think it depends what your focus is, either a harmonious picture or getting as much stuff which you can get. My opinion is that a slight crop and shift/tilt funtion in PS help create a nice result if applied skilfully.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very nice B&W which brought some memories of the place from 20 years ago.

The SEM is such an excellent lens that by taking a few steps back one can avoid the subject to be at the edges of the frame and make a crop in PP later. There will be no loss in detail.