R6 and 6.2 question

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like the premium for the 1/2000 shutter on the R6.2, over the 1/1000 of the R6, is about $250.00. As I consider the difference in price, I realize that I do not have a real appreciation of the necessity of the 1/2000 shutter speed.

I do not photograph sporting events, or automobile races. So, I am wondering, from a practical standpoint, what is the absolute advantage of the 1/2000 speed on the 6.2? What are some of the real-world shooting experiences where the person with the 6.2 walks away with a good photo, while the R6 owner just gets frustrated that his/her equipment is just not up to the task?

Thanks for your opinions or experience.

Wayne

My Leicaflex SL had 1/2000 top speed, and I don't think I ever used it. So I never missed it on my R4 or R6. If you shoot outdoors with fast film, and want to limit depth of field, it has a place, but I picked slower films for that purpose.

I did love th R6 meter, as I also used an M6, so the meter operation was very compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are there repair parts for the 6.2?

I didn't think there were repair parts for any of the R4-7 shutters

TIA

A few years ago there were in any way repair shutter parts for the R6.2 and R7.

Paepke-Fototechnik in Düsseldorf (Germany) took over all the parts from Leica Solms.

Because Leica Solms (Wetzlar) does not longer give technical service to any R Leica camera inclusive the R8 and R9.

Edited by Joop van Heijgen
  • Like 1

For any R camera, as I found, the cost of repair will exceed the cost of replacement in most cases, even if a repair were possible, which depends on someone having suitable parts.

I'm looking to replace my faulty R3. I'd actually prefer to repair it but nobody wants to even attempt it - I will keep my eye out for a sensibly priced R body.

The R6/6.2, being mechanical, should be better long term bets than models with electronic shutters, and the later R7-9's are likely to be the most reliable auto models.

The Leicaflex models, having 'cloth' shutters should be repairable like a mechanical M, but again, a working body could be bought for £150. However you can't user later R only lenses on them.

I just found this thread whilst searching for info on the other R models. Very interesting……….

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00a9rc

Leica R6 or Minolta XD-11 that is not the discussion here...

I do think that the Leica RE will be the best replacement for the R3 because it is also a camera without program automatic.

In general there are no big technical isues with this camera and you can use the 'R-only' lenses.

The actual price for this camera is around €180,-....€225,-

• 1 year later...

I sort of had the same debate when looking for an R6 or 6.2. The 6.2 is a little more refined overall, but the 1/2000th shutter is certainly helpful to have better control over your aperture outside. It really depends on your shooting style, but if I'm photographing people, I want to be able to get more wide open if I need it.