Recommended SD cards?

Likaleica

A pair of 16gb 280mb Sandisk  extreme pro's ...... can utilise the II interface, not that expensive on amazon and plenty of storage capacity ---- considering you have 2 slots. 

Higher capacity cards offer no real benefits .... tend to be slower and it is safer to use multiple smaller cards ..... the effects of disaster are less.....

• Like 2

A pair of 16gb 280mb Sandisk  extreme pro's ...... can utilise the II interface, not that expensive on amazon and plenty of storage capacity ---- considering you have 2 slots. 

Higher capacity cards offer no real benefits .... tend to be slower and it is safer to use multiple smaller cards ..... the effects of disaster are less.....

Sound advice.

Hmm. I've had no problems with any of my Sandisk 32 or 64G Extreme and Extreme Pro cards, and they're just as fast as the 16s. I generally can get along just fine with a single 16G card for my shooting, but it's very convenient to have the extra capacity now and then. There don't seem to be any downsides, so I'd say just pick whichever storage capacity and workflow suits you best. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have ordered 3 Lexar 64GB 1000x UHS II speed class 3 (150 mB/s) cards. Amazon UK is offering a very good deal at £25 each. The SanDisk equivalents look expensive in comparison with their UHS II 64GB card at £89. Transcend is not offered by Amazon in a UHS II 64GB card. Over the years, I have always stuck to those three marques, as they never seem to give problems. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I don't think that UHS I or II makes any difference to whether they work or not in slot 1 or 2. SD, SDHC or SDXC compliance are the important factors and both slots are SDXC compliant. There don't seem to be a big choice of UHS II cards for sale yet. It just seemed easier to have all cards the same spec and at the price that Amazon were asking for the Lexar, the price factor was not significant either. 

Wilson

• Like 2

i used sandisk extreme uhs I 95 when i had the chance and it worked fine, stills and motion....

i will probably get the sandisk 64gb uhs II, who knows maybe some firmware update might brings something to actually utilize the faster slot? 

i was looking at the 512gb sandisk for the slower uhs I slot....perfect to just keep a backup running in camera.....but they are still a little expensive...

• 1 month later...

Dear Lenter,

I have exactly the same problem, and have found that the Leica SL is not compatible with revision C of the Lexar 64GB 1000X, the version with Golden/Black label.

Please see the discussion in the other tread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/254290-start-up-times/?p=2962751

The problem is only in Slot 1, if you move the card to Slot 2, the startup time will be 2-3 seconds.

I have contacted Leica about this issue, but no answer from them yet.

Best regards

Trond

If you insert a UHS-II card into slot 2, will it still work?  I appreciate there's no benefit, but having two identical cards just reduces the chance of a cock-up (always on the cards). 

Yes.  But using only the contacts in the first row.  The second row of contacts on the back of the card are what make it UHS-II, and those contacts don't appear in slot 2.  Apparently the cards are down-compatible (and less trouble when used that way).

scott

• Like 1

Yes.  But using only the contacts in the first row.  The second row of contacts on the back of the card are what make it UHS-II, and those contacts don't appear in slot 2.  Apparently the cards are down-compatible (and less trouble when used that way).

scott

......and there is less risk of getting the wrong card in the right slot or vice versa. That is why I bought three identical 64GB UHS II cards. Finger trouble always happens when you least need or expect it.  :huh:

I tried careful timing of startup times with both the C and D variants of the Lexar 64GB Pro 1000x 150 Mbps chip in slot #1 and slot #2 empty.  I focused the camera on an onscreen stop watch running continuously.  I held the shutter button full down, and flicked the ON switch as a ten second mark passed.  Liveview and the LCD come on within a second, (at "ready"), but the shutter doesn't fire until the rest of the shooting information comes up on the top LCD.  With either of the C and D chip the shutter fires at 3.5 to 4 seconds after I switch on.  Having a SanDisk Extreme 95 Mbps chip in #1 and a Lexar in #2 was also 3.5 seconds.  Having just the SanDisk chip in #1, #2 empty, was faster, but I don't have a careful measurement.  Maybe a second or less.  So I guess avoiding the UHS II chips for the moment would be wise.  It's a shame as they are a little less expensive than the SanDisk Extreme when purchased at Amazon these days.

scott

Scott ...... just repeated using the same method ....... consistently 1.1-1.2 seconds  

From standby ......  0.75 secs

sandisk extreme pro 280mb/s 16gb in both slots, both previously fully wiped & formatted with SD-Formatter (and re-formatted in the computer with SD-F when full)

.... this is with the 24-90 zoom 

with a manual R lens the start-up time for the LCD 'ready' is the same ....... but there is a delay before the camera takes the photo, making it about  3 seconds in total.

no idea why this should be ..... you would have thought with no electrical connection to the lens and focussing etc.  it would actually be quicker ....... very odd ....

Edited by thighslapper

Scott ...... just repeated using the same method ....... consistently 1.1-1.2 seconds  

From standby ......  0.75 secs

sandisk extreme pro 280mb/s 16gb in both slots, both previously fully wiped & formatted with SD-Formatter (and re-formatted in the computer with SD-F when full)

.... this is with the 24-90 zoom 

with a manual R lens the start-up time for the LCD 'ready' is the same ....... but there is a delay before the camera takes the photo, making it about  3 seconds in total.

no idea why this should be ..... you would have thought with no electrical connection to the lens and focussing etc.  it would actually be quicker ....... very odd ....

Did you test the 11frames/sec? I'm wondering how many dng files you can make at this speed before it start to slow down. With a normal card I get 35 images and I'm thinking to buy this 280mb/sec card to get more images in fast burst mode but I don't know if it will help ;)

Thanks already!

Best regards

Peter

Edited by Peter E

• 3 months later...