Has anyone heard of plans to upgrade the EV-2 ? are these helpful tools ?

rsolomon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would a wirelessly connected viewfinder introduce too much lag?

You can see this implemented on the T and Q. Both require an iPhone App, but it works ok. Actually, it works quite well compared to all other solutions on the market, but it's rather gimmicky and there is a lag.

• Like 1

I was experimenting with mine this past weekend, I think its a nice little accessory.  I purchased it to pair with my 21SEM and times when I need critical focus like portrait shots with my 50AA.  For daily street and waking about, I either manual focus or zone focus with the OVF  at 35/50mm.  

From what I've read, given the short time I've been here, it seems like 90mm is the tipping point for most when going to an EVF or Magnifier to achieve great results.  I think 135mm would be quite challenging without either one.  If you have really good eyes, you may be ok for now.    

From what I've read, given the short time I've been here, it seems like 90mm is the tipping point for most when going to an EVF or Magnifier to achieve great results.  I think 135mm would be quite challenging without either one.  If you have really good eyes, you may be ok for now.    

My eyes are far from great and never have been and I've never had a problem focusing a 135 on the rangefinder in 45 years.  The viewfinder image and rangefinder patch magnification stay the same no matter what lens is mounted.  Only the frame lines change size. 

• Like 1

The viewfinder image and rangefinder patch magnification stay the same no matter what lens is mounted.  Only the frame lines change size. 

I understand this, but for some it becomes challenging to achieve optimal focus at >= 90mm without the aid of an EVF or Magnifier.  If you are able to get great results without, I guess you can hold on to your money for another day.  The OP asked the question if anyone would dare to focus 135mm on anything other than at HF without the aid of an EVF or Magnifier.
Edited by MT0227

The OP asked the question if anyone would dare to focus 135mm on anything other than at HF without the aid of an EVF or Magnifier.

And I have been for over 4 decades, up to and including an M9 and M240.   I have tried magnifiers and they are now somwhere in a drawer, as I found that whatever they added in magnification was at least offset by loss of brightness and contrast.  I found that the case with the goggled Elmarit as well, not to mention the bulk and weight. The EVF is a good solution, no slower than a Visoflex housing with the lens head on a short focusing mount, much less cumbersome and (with a used Oly VF2) much less costly.  And the Visoflex+short-mount is not an option with the later (e46) T-E or APO-Telyt. 

• Like 1