How well is the S series actually selling?

leicapages

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Folks,

Would anyone have insight into how well the S series are actually selling, and if actual demand has matched the company's expectations?

How viable is this system longer term (and not going the way of the R)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by leicapages

It's more than viable enough, and there is no competition in the area. A unique product like the M series.

(Don't name other Medium format systems as competition because they are not...)

Sales as far as I know are fine, you don't hear as much about it as you do about the M series, but there's plenty of people shooting the S system. :)

• Like 1

From what I have read here and elsewhere, sales have been good - in line with expectations initially at least - but most have been bought by amateurs.

However, prices have dropped signifcantly (in the UK you can buy a new S and standard lens for under £8K) and the peformance of FF DSLR's from Canon and Nikon continues to improve which will no doubt close the gap in the MF advantage, and Leica now have the SL which will no doubt compete with the S to some degree.

Everyone keeps saying the DSLR is dead (the S is a DSLR) and the EVF is far superior, so will Leica ditch the S for a new SL style MF camera?.........

Because they are non ground up new digital systems, they are all quirky and slow. I've tried most digital Medium format systems and they all lacked!

The only thing the S lacks is long lenses which I solved by trying the 300mm Hasselblad with the adapter.

They are all focused one studio shooting? The S is in my opinion and for my needs by far the best system.

I feel the S stands apart from other medium format systems... And thus in my eyes there is not competition.

Because they are non ground up new digital systems, they are all quirky and slow. I've tried most digital Medium format systems and they all lacked!

The only thing the S lacks is long lenses which I solved by trying the 300mm Hasselblad with the adapter.

They are all focused one studio shooting? The S is in my opinion and for my needs by far the best system.

I feel the S stands apart from other medium format systems... And thus in my eyes there is not competition.

Can you elaborate on "quirky and slow?" I'm excited about the faster frame rate of the 007, however, since there aren't that many of them in the hands of photographers yet, how much faster is S006 over other MFD systems? I would argue that Phase One's new XF One's HAP focusing is on par speedwise (not sure about accuracy yet, but my limited experience one with one has me confident it is) with the Leica S. That's not to say that S series doesn't have several other features  such as weather sealing, stellar S lenses (with CS option for those who require it), 4K video (for those getting the S007), etc., but I fail to see your reasoning about "quirky and slow." The AF motor issue with the S lenses could fall into your "quirky" comment, especially if you are one of the unfortunate who have to send their lens back.

In the end, it's about what you shoot, how you shoot it, and which system best fits your needs/wants.

For me, S wins in terms of ergonomics and how it handle in your hand. The weight balance and the unibody design that look almost indestructible, I can only think of one other camera that come close... Pentax 645D/Z. But it is not as ergonomic, but just as rugged.

The other MF are all Digital Back system that is not that weather seal, and the ergonomics is pretty appaling, the weight of the digital back is really twisting your wrist cause it is located so far back of the camera, and it really limit the size of the camera cause it just have to be so big in terms of size....

I think S let down is also from its strong point, if you want the best resolution interms of sensor + Lens combo, you will do better with a digital back and technical camera lens... not sure whether I will be shot for saying Leica doesn't have the best resolution lens... hahahah

Edited by xiaubauu2009

For the imagecirle the S sensor has I think the 120 and 180 are the best you can get natively. Not sure even if the S would have 80MP if you need a better lens?

I agree on the Pentax for me the camera has to be rugged and weather sealed. The Pentax just didn't feel right. So many buttons *screams*

Yes, they claim it is, however I've read (can't find the article right now) about the 645Z buttons failing after some rain/mud...

"The" or "a?" Anything can fail. I read somewhere that the AF motors of one of the allegedly most rugged camera systems can fail too, even without being subjected to rain/mud. Hmmmm.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/running-85k-camera-under-shower-science-pentax-645z-weatherproof-test-17253

http://www.slrlounge.com/pentax-645z-goes-beach-puts-weather-proofing-test/

Maybe he copied the guys that did this with the Leica? Either way, proof enough for me.

I think Bill's right, there must be quite a few people waiting for their new S. 

Just out of curiosity, how many S's (S2, S2P, 006 and 007) do you guys think have been sold worldwide? I'd gestimate probably around 10.000.

With a little bit of luck, in the very near future, I'm hoping to make that 10,001. ;) LOL

• Like 2