Black and White Street Photos by Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm f3.5

mark_pw

Welcome to the forum.   I think that this is a nice setting for a potentially interesting photograph (e.g., nice contrast and symmetry with the cars).  But I can walk to any number of streets and take this same shot and process it in the same fashion.  I think you need to add some more elements of interest in order to make this work as an image with potential broad public interest.  Look forward to seeing more on this forum.  Best, Adam Miller 

Edited by A miller

I'm afraid I agree with Adam, above. The rendition of available light (and neon signs) and the processing are superb, but this -- to my mind, anyway -- isn't enough. Without some human drama, without a focus of interest, without something that holds the attention and anchors the composition, it isn't enough. I'm not for one moment saying that these things are easy to achieve -- indeed, they require almost endless labour, but they are the lifeblood of worthwhile photography and one of the reasons why street photography is so frustrating and so much of it misses rather than hits... 

This would be terrific setting for *something happening*...

• Like 1

The priceless moments are always what I want to catch in taking photos on street. It's a challenge to me in many occasions. When the moment comes, I have to adjust the aperture, focus... many times, the ISO is not optimal and gave me shaky image, if I ever made a shot. Even more times, the moments vanished. I am carrying my camera everyday. I am looking forward to get more and more great shots. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid I agree with Adam, above. The rendition of available light (and neon signs) and the processing are superb, but this -- to my mind, anyway -- isn't enough. Without some human drama, without a focus of interest, without something that holds the attention and anchors the composition, it isn't enough. I'm not for one moment saying that these things are easy to achieve -- indeed, they require almost endless labour, but they are the lifeblood of worthwhile photography and one of the reasons why street photography is so frustrating and so much of it misses rather than hits... 

This would be terrific setting for *something happening*...

I've made some new shots.

DSC05597.jpg

Did I catch the right moment?

I've put others at BigBigLens.com - Leica 40mm.

It's taken by Leica Summicron-C 40mm on Sony A7.

Get in front of their face...not from behind. Shoot so you see the  expressions and mannerisms...just my thinking but, the image itself is what well in terms of contrast, and blur in the background. 

I think that's the key point - As humans, we are drawn to faces, and trying to figure out from them what is happening. Faces lead us to believe there is a story going on, and catches our attention. Are they relaxed, excited, disturbed, concerned, distracted...?

Keep going, Mark - We're all on a journey.