Leica C Wishlist and Advice

richam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've taken over 9000 photos with this great little camera, according to Lightroom metadata.  Lightroom was included with the camera, indicating the images could and should be post processed in a serious software package(s).

1.  This being the case, I wonder why bracketing is limited to +/- 1 EV since the images are malleable and can usually take 1 EV adjustment with little or no image degradation.  I'd like to see at least +/- 2 EV or more to cover tricky lighting situations and allow best external HDR processing.  It seems this could be done in firmware, so not too difficult.

2.  The camera WiFi allows images download to mobile devices (e.g. iPad, iPhone) via Leica Image Shuttle, which doesn't seem to have a version that works on desktop computers.  I'd like to see a way to WiFi direct to my iMac running OS X, so I can easily import into Lightroom (which was, after all, included with the camera).  A Leica Image Capture package that runs on desktops would be very welcome.  (If there's some way of doing this currently, please let me know.)

3.  The diopter adjustment wheel is so tiny that it's very difficult to adjust by finger.  Yet, it seems to turn readily when putting it in or taking it out of a pocket or bag, meaning it needs to be re-adjusted often.  This would be a major modification for the camera, so I don't expect a factory solution.  But has anyone else run across this problem?  I met someone who solved a similar problem with a Lumix camera by surrounding the wheel with putty.  I've considered super glue, but haven't done it yet.  Is there some other reasonable solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I carry my C in a rigid belt case (Lowepro) in which it is in a vertical postion. The problem I had initially was that when retrieving the camera my fingers quite often switched it on accidentally so the lens barrel released before I had proper hold. I solved that by ensuring that whenever I replace the camera in the case the on/of and shutter keys are at the bottom and the lens faces away from my body.

Having sight only in one eye I rely upon the EV a lot and must admit I have not had a problem once set, but the way the camera is carried in the case that wheel would not normally catch anything - but I do agree about the difficulty of operating the adjustment wheel with ones finger.

As for Lightroom, I have found generally that the little C produces such excellent images as shot that it needs very little adjustment. I am still on Windows XP and use Photoshop CS5.  I am moving gradually to an Apple Mac so I loaded the "free" Lightroom on to that because Adobe would not let me transfer my CS5 across. They insisted that I upgrade first at my cost, then take use on the cloud. In the circumstances I felt I could not justify the cost so shall keep my CS5 going for as long as I can on my PC. I have not used Lightroom yet, so I guess that is something else to learn as I get used to the Apple mindset prior to switching my priority use from PC  to Apple.

Richard

• Like 1

You have clearly been very happy with the little C, despite the points you make. (9000 exposures) I wonder whether you are expecting too much from its relatively modest size and specification?

When I tried it at a Leica Demo day I was greatly attracted to the model. But, on reflection, felt that it was just too  small for my hands and demands. So I opted for the D-Lux, a little later, due to its better spec and increased size of body and sensor. My comments in no way constitute a criticism of your judgement. As I said, you would not have used it so prolifically if you found too many irksome features for your style and demands.

As to the limited EV adjustment, you can easily offset that perceived deficiency within Lightroom.

• Like 1

I carry my C in a rigid belt case (Lowepro) in which it is in a vertical postion. The problem I had initially was that when retrieving the camera my fingers quite often switched it on accidentally so the lens barrel released before I had proper hold. I solved that by ensuring that whenever I replace the camera in the case the on/of and shutter keys are at the bottom and the lens faces away from my body.

Having sight only in one eye I rely upon the EV a lot and must admit I have not had a problem once set, but the way the camera is carried in the case that wheel would not normally catch anything - but I do agree about the difficulty of operating the adjustment wheel with ones finger.

As for Lightroom, I have found generally that the little C produces such excellent images as shot that it needs very little adjustment. I am still on Windows XP and use Photoshop CS5.  I am moving gradually to an Apple Mac so I loaded the "free" Lightroom on to that because Adobe would not let me transfer my CS5 across. They insisted that I upgrade first at my cost, then take use on the cloud. In the circumstances I felt I could not justify the cost so shall keep my CS5 going for as long as I can on my PC. I have not used Lightroom yet, so I guess that is something else to learn as I get used to the Apple mindset prior to switching my priority use from PC  to Apple.

Richard

FWIW, I have been using Lightroom and Photoshop on the Mac for some time.  I found that Lightroom has become so powerful, that Photoshop (I have CS6) is rarely needed.  I even upgraded to Lightroom CC, which includes panorama and HDR capabilities.  This means even less need for Photoshop CS6, so I'm not upgrading to Photoshop CC.  Whatever action you take, I suggest you give Lightroom a good try and see for yourself.

You have clearly been very happy with the little C, despite the points you make. (9000 exposures) I wonder whether you are expecting too much from its relatively modest size and specification?

When I tried it at a Leica Demo day I was greatly attracted to the model. But, on reflection, felt that it was just too  small for my hands and demands. So I opted for the D-Lux, a little later, due to its better spec and increased size of body and sensor. My comments in no way constitute a criticism of your judgement. As I said, you would not have used it so prolifically if you found too many irksome features for your style and demands.

As to the limited EV adjustment, you can easily offset that perceived deficiency within Lightroom.

Modest size and specification? -- well, it's a Leica and priced accordingly.  I've had amazing results, so no general complaint.  I still would like to see +/- 2 EV bracketing, which should be easily to implement in firmware.  Lightroom cannot fill in blown highlights and lost shadows if the basic information is not there.  I've run across instances, church interiors for example, where the dynamic range exceeds what can be captured with +/- 1 EV bracketing.  In this case external HDR editing can usually capture all the details if the bracketing EV is wide enough.  My experience is that +/- 2 EV on one of my other cameras provides the optimum result, but I don't always carry them due to security and handling concerns.

As far as Image Shuttle is concerned, I think the download time would be excessive, and still difficult to import to Lightroom.  I'll give up on that one.

The EVF diopter wheel is still a fumble finger nuisance for me.  The EVF is small, as one would expect with this camera, so it's ok.  Still looking for a better solution than super glue.

I don't have a Leica C as yet (considering one), so perhaps my suggestion is irrelevant.  I  am basing it upon looking at  the illustration of the diopter wheel adjustment in the User Manual.

Could you insert a piece of dental floss under the wheel to keep it from turning?  Then trim off the excess length of floss.

Edited by Schnitzer
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked at a D before purchasing my C. The EV on the D was many steps better than the C but the camera bulk and weight put me off - basically the D is not "pocketable". My reason for purchase is that I lost spontenaity when I did not have my V-Lux with me.  So far the little C has proved its worth.

• Like 2

I don't have a Leica C as yet (considering one), so perhaps my suggestion is irrelevant.  I  am basing it upon looking at  the illustration of the diopter wheel adjustment in the User Manual.

Could you insert a piece of dental floss under the wheel to keep it from turning?  Then trim off the excess length of floss.

Excellent idea -- tried it, but couldn't thread the floss through the tight spaces.

Again referencing the diopter adjustment illustration in the User Manual: Did you try pulling the floss back and forth (the same as you would do between the teeth) between the wheel and the camera body (knurled side of the wheel) ?  Dental floss is also available in different thicknesses. 

As a last resort, you could put a small dab of woman's clear nail polish across the wheel to camera body.  The advantage to this is the nail polish can be removed later with a Q-tip or small ball of cotton wetted with  alcohol or alcohol based product like hair spray body deodorant spray.

• Like 1

Again referencing the diopter adjustment illustration in the User Manual: Did you try pulling the floss back and forth (the same as you would do between the teeth) between the wheel and the camera body (knurled side of the wheel) ?  Dental floss is also available in different thicknesses. 

As a last resort, you could put a small dab of woman's clear nail polish across the wheel to camera body.  The advantage to this is the nail polish can be removed later with a Q-tip or small ball of cotton wetted with  alcohol or alcohol based product like hair spray body deodorant spray.

Tried again with the floss.  It can be inserted as you suggest but provides no friction advantage moving the wheel, even when doubled.  Also, I hesitate to trim it off and end up with an un-retrievable piece potentially gumming up the works.  May try the nail polish later, but will live with it as is for now.

This all seems a bit extreme.......................are we really talking about a LEICA being stuck up with nail varnist or dental floss.?

Don't forget putty, which someone I met was using on a LUMIX.  The LVF diopter mechanism was identical.

Mike,

I'm also very impressed with the C and eventually parted with the D-Lux 109 because the C is so pocketable while the D-Lux just lack something intangible in its handling.

I agree that the diopter adjustment is awkward and can go out of adjustment on its way out of a pocket so my fix was to adjust it until it's right for my eye and then paint a thin white line on the dial with correction fluid which dries instantly.  Now I can immediately see when the wheel has moved and it's simple to move it back to where it should be without having to try to cram your thumb and knuckle between camera and eye to adjust it.

My C usually rides in my front trouser pocket and has a habit of letting the mode dial re-orient itself as it comes out followed by unrepeatable words from me when I realise I've missed the shot because the mode dial was on the wrong setting.  I put this down to user error and am training myself to briefly check that the dial is on aperture priority before shooting; it'll take a little time but I'm getting there. :lol:

Pete.

• Like 3

Mike,

I'm also very impressed with the C and eventually parted with the D-Lux 109 because the C is so pocketable while the D-Lux just lack something intangible in its handling.

I agree that the diopter adjustment is awkward and can go out of adjustment on its way out of a pocket so my fix was to adjust it until it's right for my eye and then paint a thin white line on the dial with correction fluid which dries instantly.  Now I can immediately see when the wheel has moved and it's simple to move it back to where it should be without having to try to cram your thumb and knuckle between camera and eye to adjust it.

My C usually rides in my front trouser pocket and has a habit of letting the mode dial re-orient itself as it comes out followed by unrepeatable words from me when I realise I've missed the shot because the mode dial was on the wrong setting.  I put this down to user error and am training myself to briefly check that the dial is on aperture priority before shooting; it'll take a little time but I'm getting there. :lol:

Pete.

Pete, Thanks I thought I was all alone on this.  Good idea with the correction fluid.  I may try that or something similar.

You are certainly not alone on this Mike.

What seems potty to me is that this thread for the valiant little C has been demoted to the "digital forum" and not even recognised in the "Other Leica Equipment" slot. What a pity that Leica, itself, does not promote this great product more fiercely. Not everybody can afford or even needs an M or S or X.

I still go to www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/237139-leica-c-images-post-them-here to watch for more examples of the camera's great output.

Edited by leica dream
  • Like 2

You are certainly not alone on this Mike.

What seems potty to me is that this thread for the valiant little C has been demoted to the "digital forum" and not even recognised in the "Other Leica Equipment" slot. What a pity that Leica, itself, does not promote this great product more fiercely. Not everybody can afford or even needs an M or S or X.

I still go to www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/237139-leica-c-images-post-them-here to watch for more examples of the camera's great output.

I agree the C has more potential than generally recognized.  Even if you can afford M/S/X, the pocketable C is my go anywhere, anytime choice on many occasions.

I did post a few of my favorites elsewhere:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252240-shanghai/

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251719-cruise-ship-hong-kong-harbor/

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251831-celtic-gateway-bridge/

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/250947-church-of-spilled-blood/

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251271-marrakech-girl/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is a long while since I last looked into this particular part of the forum and so the first time I have seen this thread.  In a similar vein, perhaps not everyone here is aware of the thread I started a year ago with examples from the mighty C?  The C remains my grab & go camera when I think I will need more 'reach' than my iPhone6S offers.

• Like 2

The C is a great little camera; the diopter correction wheel is a pain but TYVM Pete for the correction fluid suggestion. Unfortunately mine has been back to Leica Mayfair twice for adjustment / repair - but it's fine now following a replacement outer body being fitted. The panoramic mode is worth exploring and gave interesting results. I plan to try the 'starry sky' mode next time I'm astro observing - I believe the camera adds a totally black image frame to the exposed image thus eliminating image noise. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2