R lens on Sony A7?

Sebmoegre

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys! I have a question if somebody is shooting with an leica R adapter for a digital camera (must not be a Nikon)! I want to sell a R 80/200mm objective and someone is interested but he want to now how it is on his Sony a7. So is there someone around basel, who i can make 2-3 fotos for a little test? Would be very nice from you.

• 4 months later...

I shoot the 60 Macro on my A7 and the 50 cron on my A900 - Sony compliments the Leica R lenses very well.

I have also shot, but sold: 180 f2.8 / 135 f2.8 / 100 Macro / 35-70 - All produce beautiful photos on the Sony Full Frames. 

I have used the following lenses with the A7R and now with the A7R2. Works beautifully, no issue.

19 Elmarit-R v2

28 Elmarit-R

50 Summicron-R

90 Summicron-R

180 Apo-Elmarit-R

35-70 VE-R

70-210 Angenieux

Before this I leitaxed several of my R lenses and used these with the A850.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have only just seen this. Yes, I am near Basel and have a Canon 7D and Nex7 with adaptors for my 80-200 zoon and a few other Leica R lenses. Drop me a PM and lets see if we can meetup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I find that the a7rii works very well using the Vario-Elmar-R f4/35-70. Take a look at my panoramic photographs taken in the outback in Mongolia.  I just posted them and I think that they came out well. I found that other lens do not do well for panoramic pictures but this one is a gem. :) 

I got an A7R Mk1 used for £700 to use with Telyt-R 180mm and 2x converter. Now also 60mm macro. Excellent results with M 90mm Tele-elmarit.

So pleased with results may look to  get the A7R Mk3 when it arrives. Will only use R and M, not interested in Sony lenses.

I also have no Sony lenses for my A7, and have no plans to buy any. It is my FF digital solution for my large collection of orphaned SLR lenses, and it works very well for them - they never looked as good on film. I leave it set the way I want, and never mess with menus, just change ISO as needed by the dial on the back.

I do use it with some M lenses, but not the ultra-wides where the edge blur becomes an issue.

• Like 4

I also have no Sony lenses for my A7, and have no plans to buy any. It is my FF digital solution for my large collection of orphaned SLR lenses, and it works very well for them - they never looked as good on film. I leave it set the way I want, and never mess with menus, just change ISO as needed by the dial on the back.

I do use it with some M lenses, but not the ultra-wides where the edge blur becomes an issue.

Nice to hear that and found someone who honor amazing build chraftmanship too.

I still have a lot of old Nikon glas build in the pre-AI-area and love the way it renders,

the look and feel is something special so I am glad I didnt have to give them up.......

I've bought the A7II mainly as an "inexpensive" digital sensor to use with my R lenses. Currently thinking of the SL with R adapter, need more $$$, though. Still using my R bodies, but I'm doing more of my photography now with the digital body. When I bought the A7 II "body only" was not available, so I went for a kit with a Sony Zomm lens (can't remember which one, not in use anymore). The kit lens was definitely disappointing. So why should I invest in more Sony lenses when my shelf is full of excellent R glass with lots of character ?

Overall the R lenses (and some Voigtländer's) work perfecty on the A7II, esp. 60 macro, 90 Cron (pre-asph.), 100 apo-macro, 80-200 f4 Vario Elmar, 35-70 f4 Vario Elmar.

Edited by T.E.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been adapting to the Sony sensors since late 2010.  For the 35mm focal length, I use the 24 2.8 R Elmarit on my APS-C Nex bodies.

Ive used both the 135 R and the 90 R lenses on the Nex cameras and It's been my experience that an R lens attached to a smaler Sony body experience gives a lens heavy, unbalanced experience.  Those particular R lenses are no longer in my bag.  M lenses are better suited for the form factor.  SLR lenses are better suited on bigger SLR bodies.

Ive used both the 135 R and the 90 R lenses on the Nex cameras and It's been my experience that an R lens attached to a smaler Sony body experience gives a lens heavy, unbalanced experience. Those particular R lenses are no longer in my bag. M lenses are better suited for the form factor. SLR lenses are better suited on bigger SLR bodies.

I agree the R lenses feel big on the A7, but perform well. The longer lenses seem fine, as I'm used to supporting the lens and letting it support the body, so the small A7 is fine.

But for normal and wide lenses for the A7 I normally use my old Pentax SMC-M lenses, which are very compact. Of course the adapter moves them forward as the sensor is in the middle of the A7 thickness, but the adapter also give a good grip behind the lens.

Edited by TomB_tx

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a stupid question: Why not ?

You bought a full automatic camera with all modes and autofocus

but its not possible to use it.....

That is not true. One of the advantages of the Sony a7rii is that you can use most Leica screw and m glass in the autofocus mode with this camera. Techart makes an M to Emount adaptor that allows one to do this (google it). I have been using it for a few months and found it to autofocus very fast. Last week I was visiting a good friend and I used the Tele-Elmer M f4/135mm lens with the auto focus adaptor. I really needed it as 영조 was approaching his 1st birthday and beginning to walk and I mean moving fast. This was a real test of the autofocus capability with a manual classic Leica tele lens. Ninety percent of the photos came out spot on his eyes in perfect focus. This really sold me on this adaptor. Makes the Sony do autofocus with my Leica lens and uses the many advantages of the Sony a7rii camera including autofocus and its excellent full frame detector!