Firmware 1.202

hepcat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, I must be living under a rock.  My M9P came with 1.176 installed and I upgraded it almost right away to 1.196 (I think that was it...)   I sent the camera to NJ for a sensor replacement for corrosion a couple of months ago.  I thought I'd check... and apparently 1.202 was released a year ago...  where was I?   So, I checked my body to find that Leica NJ had conveniently upgraded it for me while they had it in for service.

I did a brief search here, but didn't find much on 1.202...  does anyone know what Leica fixed in this version?  I don't seem to be able to find any release notes; at least nothing that tells me what 1.202 fixed over 1.196?   1.202 doesn't even show up on the M9 Wikipedia page.  Geez!

Thanks!

Roger

• Like 1

It is the firmware for the improved sensor (sensor corrosion eliminated). Nothing else has changed.

Elmar

Oh that is interesting.

Then once a M9 is getting an improved sensor due to corrosion the older firmware versions cannot be used anymore?

(I am still using a version - v1.176 if memory serves me right) which allows me much faster write times and the proper use of discreet mode without I couldn't live)

Edited by menos I M6
  • Like 1

Oh that is interesting.

Then once a M9 is getting an improved sensor due to corrosion the older firmware versions cannot be used anymore?

(I am still using a version - v1.176 if memory serves me right) which allows me much faster write times and the proper use of discreet mode without I couldn't live)

This is right. Old firmware versions don't work.

• Like 2

This is right. Old firmware versions don't work.

Elmars, can you provide a link to the tech document regarding this?  I don't have reason to disbelieve you, but all I've been able to find on 1.202 is what I've posted.   My sensor was replaced, but it was likely one of the last replaced with the original CCD sensor, as the new sensor's announcement was two months out from when mine was replaced, and if that's the case, they likely wouldn't have had the firmware revision released until they released the new sensor.  I think they updated the firmware in my camera just because that's one of the services they perform. 

Thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Elmars, can you provide a link to the tech document regarding this?  I don't have reason to disbelieve you, but all I've been able to find on 1.202 is what I've posted.   My sensor was replaced, but it was likely one of the last replaced with the original CCD sensor, as the new sensor's announcement was two months out from when mine was replaced, and if that's the case, they likely wouldn't have had the firmware revision released until they released the new sensor.  I think they updated the firmware in my camera just because that's one of the services they perform. 

Thanks!

I am in the same situation, my sensor replacement was well in advance of the announcement that the new senors are on board. The camera (M9) was returned with 1.202 on it and it works just fine.  My interest: did I in fact get an early new sensor?  Or, is the 1.202 for all?  Regards, Ron

I just did a little poking around in the German language forum and found Elmars' post where he tested the new sensor for Leica.   Apparently there is a new version of the firmware especially for the new sensor... and he says it's 1.204.  So apparently version 1.202 is for the original sensors.  Thank you Elmars.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249568-leica-m9-korrosion-sensoraustausch-m9-m9-p-und-m-e-beginnt/?do=findComment&comment=2880512

Here's the text from that post, translated by Google for us:

Posted September 1, 2015 - 09:58

Leica has asked me in July to test the modified sensor in practice. I did this. Before installing the new sensor to the old sensor I have a color chart (SpyderCheckr) recorded in overcast daylight, studio flash and (in color quite good) Fluorescent and each creates a color profile in Lightroom. The same I did with the new sensor. My Conclusion: The old behaves like the new sensor, in particular with respect to the color characteristic. According to Leica (and have) had in mind also did not change much, so that the new sensor provides similar results as the old one. I've done about 400 photos before release of my observations at Leica and evaluated. Here, too, differences are not noticed me. The images I can not show that I'm on vacation and have no access to the home computer. I'll get it by next week. According to Leica, there are otherwise no revisions in the Firmware / changes. I asked about the crash in discreet mode. They have previously tried to reproduce the error. But that has not succeeded; it occurs very rarely under non klärbaren conditions. Therefore, one could not provide any remedy. The following are the slightly modified observations, which I have communicated to mid-August Leica: I. The camera smells short time after unpacking. New firmware 1.204 (instead of 1.202). According to Leica, you can no longer use the old firmware. The internal image number has been preserved. II. Colours: The color profiles show only very small, visually insignificant differences. This applies both to daylight (even though the light was not completely identical with regard to profiling Cloudiness and time of day), as well as neon and fluorescent light. Screenshots of the profiles (Entwicklungspreset in LR) will I hand next week when I get back from vacation. III. LR-color temperature: 1. The new sensor is slightly warmer interpreted by LR namely to 200 K (at a fixed color temperature adjustment in the camera on cloudy). In AWB, the values ​​inconsistently, studio flash significantly colder, Fluorescent significantly warmer. a. Camera Rain: Age sensor 4800 K (-15) New sensor 5000 K (+2) b. Camera AWB: Age Sensor Neon 4150 K (+1) Studio lightning 5050 K (-34) New Sensor Neon 5500 K (-11), Studio lightning 4400 K (+19) 2. A white balance to the same gray box a color chart are different color temperatures: Age Sensor: 4350 K (+5) under fluorescent lighting or 5250 K (-31) at Studiolitz New sensor: 4700 K (+18) under fluorescent lighting or 5850 K (-10) at Studio Flash IV. Sensitivity and contrast: sensitivity and contrast are the same as the old sensor, at least the same aperture and shutter speed and the same light (neon or studio light) in LR6 almost identical brightness values ​​at the same ISO, displayed in white or black on the color chart. V. AWB: The AWB of new sensor is often a little cool. 400-500 K more would lead to a more pleasant visual impression. Since I rarely use AWB and it did for the test after a long time, I can not say whether there is a difference from the old sensor. Www. ElmarStreyl. De
  • Like 2

Many thanks for the information. Mine came back with 1.204 and I was wondering how it sat in relation to the earlier firmware sequence.

No problems yet - so far, so good, as the person said who planned to live for ever.

Do You know this post from me about the new sensor and firmware?

Elmar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - 

I purchased a new sensor M9-P.  It's great, has firmware 1.204 but there's a bug in the firmware - the camera will not create DNG files - only JPG.  Kinda misses the real value of the M camera. Hope they can fix this soon.

Greg, please check carefully with the manual against the camera.

You can set the M9 to only write JPG files.

Please make sure to check for this:

- switch the camera on

- press the "set button" (camera rear, left from the display, the bottom most button "set")

- move the selector to "Compression" (second menu option from the top)

- press the "set button" (a menu should open)

- select any of the options, including "DNG"

- press the "set button" (you have now selected and confirmed that option)

If the camera is set in this menu to either "JPG fine" or "JPG basic" it will not write DNG files but exclusively JPG files on the card.

Also please check depending on the computer and software you use that DNG files are properly displayed when reading the SD card and not "hidden" by the computer.

I hope this helps.

After updating to this release, I can only get srgb for my color space (dng). Before I was able to use 

Adobe RGB 

any help? Please? 

I don't want sRGB. 

Thx

Melissa, which release is "this release?"  And which camera do you have?  Do you have the "new" sensor or the "old" sensor?

The topic is about release 1.202 which is what I have installed on my M9P and is the last firmware release for the "old" sensors.  I just checked mine, and it still offers adobe RGB as a menu option.

Firmware 1.204 is only for the new-release non-corrosion sensor cameras.   If that's what you have, perhaps a new thread with your question would be more productive for you. 

In my M9 has been changed the sensor in June 2015, but his firmware is 1.202, maybe one of the last "old sensor"?

Giacomo

Yes it's the original type of sensor.  Mine was changed at about that same time and replaced with the original sensor as well.  I expect it'll have to go back again in another three or four years... but that's ok with me.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...