Anyone have new sensor replacement on MM?

vdb

My MM sensor was replaced (along with the M9 sensors) in April-May 2014 when the cameras was at Wetzlar for genereal service. 

That was with the then current sensor (not the new M9 sensor). 

(Contrary to general belief Leica wa aware of the problem and handling it long before they made any official statement).

I was told (a month ago) by one of the repair techs at Leica Mayfair that it would probably be the end of the year before the "new" MM sensors are available.

Yes, I confirm. Leica Germany told me a month ago that the new MM sensors aren't yet available but will soon be.

• 11 months later...

Hi Virgil,

I got my sensor replaced in May this year after a waiting period, it was almost 12 weeks I remember. As mentioned above I am sure you have to be patient. But on the other hand you will get a New MM... I am really really happy with the new one! The image quality is outstanding. No regrets, it was worth the waiting.

I would not wait to long. If you send it in soon you might get it changed earlier. It's a question of timing, it feels a bit like a bus stop without a schedule? This perhaps is owed to the low rates of replacement demands and the sensor still causes some effort to be build. I remember I have read an article about the high failure rate of the old CCD sensors. And personally I think it hasn't changed what I deeply regret.

Good luck. Dario

Edited by schmolinski

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a new sensor in my MM, which spent about 9 weeks in New Jersey in August-September this year. The camera, as returned, works perfectly. It was returned with recalibrated focus that is spot on, and communication was excellent. They acknowledged receipt of the camera by email as soon as it arrived. I had made an appointment to send in the camera body after sending, via email, some sample files of cloudless sky, to illustrate the sensor problem. While it took a little while, I'm quite pleased with the result, and especially have to compliment Roxana Lynch, who was most helpful and who, along with the other staff, I suspect are feeling a bit pressed by the demand. Sensors seem to arrive in batches, and I'm not certain what proportion are for the M Monochrom.

I think the files with the new sensor may be a tiny bit sharper, although this could be placebo effect.

Edited by norm_snyder

Mine is now at Leica NJ being checked. Three people contacted me when I inquired about sending it in. I was alerted when it arrived and entered their system. So far I've been well-informed. They said if it needs replacing the process will take seven or eight weeks.  

I'm not sure if what I see is corrosion, but I specifically asked for the upgrade, saying I should not be expected to live with the future uncertainty and the possibility of being without the camera yet again. I'm also concerned that the good will initiative will eventually end. 

John 

Edited by johnwolf