Did anyone notice a light reflex on the EVF screen?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone noticed a strange reflex of light on the EVF outer screen when shooting in vertical mode or even if the camera is off? Basically, if you hold the camera in vertical position (with the shutter button below), I can see a light reflex on the screen if I have a strong light source to my right side or behind me. Did you noticed the same? It is quite annoying and it is not an electronic effect since I can see it even when the camera is off. I would say it is a light reflex on the EVF outer screen when shooting in vertical mode. Nothing apperas if the camera is in the horizontal position.

Thanks for posting your experience. Please note there is no impact on the final image which is perfect, however it is a pretty annoying effect when shooting in vertical mode. The light shines on the external EVF creates a sort of white light band. Again, this is obvious when shooting in vertican mode. Not in horizonal mode. Please let me know if you noticed the same, otherwise my EVF is faulty and need to return the camera. What do you think? thanks

Nothing visible on mine.  I think another member had a query about a similar effect but it hasn't become a real issue since then. Maybe just that bright light behind you.  Are you wearing spectacles?

• Like 1

Nothing visible on mine.  I think another member had a query about a similar effect but it hasn't become a real issue since then. Maybe just that bright light behind you.  Are you wearing spectacles?

No, I am not wearing spectacles. Did you try the "test" I proposed above and you did not see any light relection?

This is a natural light reflection which can be annoying while using the EVF. All that is needed to avoid this nuisance is to cup you eye as good as possible or to find a way of adding a bigger eye cup to the EVF ;)

I agree with you that it's just a natural light reflection on the EVF screen. I am only wondering if it's my camera only to exhibit this effect (and perhaps the EVF glass coating is defective) or you can see the same effect on your camera as well? Can you please check on your camera and let me know. I appreciate.

• 1 year later...

When I got my Q and first looked through the EVF I thought I had forgotten to take off the protective film from the EVF. The image was not contrasty at all but flat and full of reflections from the lights in my living room.  But, of course, there was was no film on the EVF. When you read reviews how clear, contrasty and bright the EVF is with it's 3 million plus pxs it's strange this EVF is so prone to reflections from ...obviousy behind -  and especially for us glass wearers. I even sent my Q to the  Leica Finland rep cos they wanted to compare the EVFs of the Qs they had in Helsinki. Having compared my Q to two new Qs out of box the service head of Leica Finland called me and said he - a glass wearer himself -  completely agrees with me. Leica Q EVF is very prone to reflections from behind because the rear element of the EVF is FLAT. Leica service here in Finland will report my and their findings to Leica in Wetzlar. Maybe they will find a solution to  existing Qs perhaps in a form of some kind of new eyecap. All cameras have their quirks. We just have to live with it.

• Like 1