A well designed M case ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back in the mid 1990s Leica enthusiast/writer/photo journalist Jonathan Eastland (Ajax News & Features) designed a series of camera pouches. Different sizes were offered to accommodate both M & R cameras plus various lenses. The Ajax M case was designed for use with an M b/o; the Ajax ML was for an M camera with a 50mm or wider lens; and the larger Ajax M WXR rectangular 'wrap around' pouch fitted an M body with 90mm or 135mm lens … or an R body with any R lens from 19mm to 180mm. The M and ML pouches were hand made from double skin soft leather with additional foam padding to protect the top and bottom plates. The WXR pouches were made from "black acrylic marine grade canvas fabric outer shell lined with a protective fleecing similar to that used in the manufacture of aircraft covers"*. Each pouch featured leather/Velcro flap fastenings permitting very fast opening/closing and when not in use can be folded to fit into a pocket. Pouches were made to order and cost : M £54.50, ML 69.95 and the non-leather WXR £21.75. 

In 1994 I wanted an ML for my M2 … but other priorities including purchase of an M6 Titanium prevented me ordering … and then as other Leica lens purchases gained momentum the pouch purchase was put on the back burner … but the desire never went away.

Fast forward 21 years to October 2015 when Googling to try and source some Novoflex accessories … and suddenly by chance in the dealer's 'Miscellaneous' section I spotted an AJAY Leica case. Memories were stirred as I looked … and looked again … it was obviously an AJAX case but spelt incorrectly … and there were two listed secondhand for just £25 each … one 'M' and one 'ML' (although not described as such) . So I ordered the 'ML'  … and this is it:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Ajax ML case is beautifully made and has obviously lasted very well and gained a pleasing patina … even if the 'X' of AJAX has partly worn to become a 'Y'  :)

I'm so pleased with the ML pouch that I've also ordered the M b/o variant for my M3. 

… Everything comes to he who waits  ;)

Best wishes

dunk

* as per J Eastland's brochure

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Back in the mid 1990s Leica enthusiast/writer/photo journalist Jonathan Eastland (Ajax News & Features) designed a series of camera pouches … 

The Ajax ML case is beautifully made and has obviously lasted very well and gained a pleasing patina … even if the 'X' of AJAX has partly worn to become a 'Y'  …….

…….

Best wishes

dunk

EDIT … in the original advertising photos, the 'X' is partly hidden by the 'A' … thus it looks like a 'Y' … so contrary to my OP the case logo is not worn.

dunk