R7 Would You

Bill W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering a used R body as I have a very nice R Zoom lens. I have not shot film in a while but when I did, I had at various points the R4, R4s and R6 bodies. R6 bodies command a premium price for their manual shutter.

What about the R7? I have never onwed one or even handled one. Are there any issues with them? I am not a fan of the R8 or R9.

The R7 is of course one of the later models. I have an R3 which sadly might have a shutter fault - going to shoot a test roll in the morning….

The thing is, if any R gets a fault now, it's likely to be uneconomical to fix. The R6, being all mechanical, is probably the exception. 

My main concern is the shutter issue and the fact that the older R's are over 20 years old and some are 30 I guess. I have seen on ebay two "new" old stock bodies, one is the R5 and one is the R6. Both are in Germany. The R6 is over $1,000 USD. The R7 I am consiering is in Florida and is mint like new. Any more advice is welcome.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still have three working Rs - two R7s and an R-E (and had a fourth, an R4s, but gave that away). I like the R7s. They were excellent cameras in their day. You should be able to get an R7 at a reasonable price because it's the R6 family that holds its price and attracts the conventional admiration among the pre-R8 designs. After that I never felt the R8 and R9 were radically different enough (looks notwithstanding) to warrant trading up, and the fabled digital backs were/are as rare as hens' teeth. And now the whole R world is obsolete so those kinds of consideration are all fading into insignificance. Incidentally, the R7s have a very slightly taller body than, say, the R4.

Perhaps ask to shoot a roll of film before committing, even out of the doorway of the dealer to take away and check, which will e.g. show basic functions are about right and whether the back seals are OK (cheaply fixable DIY if not). Check for battery compartment corrosion too - obvious things like that. Also, if you find an immaculate one it will probably have had little use and though there'll be no wear the mechanics and electromechanics may be pretty dry. If so, and given that an initial CLA would be uneconomic, when I got it home I'd be inclined to put it in a warm (not hot) place like an airing cupboard or radiator shelf for a while to help soften the lubricants and then indulge in an orgy of winding on and shutter firing at different settings.

Would I repair an R7 if it failed? If just one of mine failed I'd probably downgrade it to paperweight or exhibit, but if both did I'd probably get one of them repaired. They don't get out much these days, but looking through those viewfinders is a pleasant experience, and (for me) the cameras feel good in the hand.

• Like 1

PS I forgot to mention another thing to check, which is the depth of field (stop down) preview lever at the side of the lens mount. These can stiffen up, but if it's not free at first then ease it very gently (after the warmth treatment) because they can crack if forced.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I would not be able to test a used R. There are none available at the local dealer. I would be buying online probably. I am settling on either the R6 or R7. Leaning to the 6 since it is a mechanical shutter. I had two of them many years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2.8-4.0/28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R and 4.0/80-200 Vario-Elmar-R to use with my M240 (and I have access to a nice 2.0/35 Summicron-R) but I have wanted an R body for a while to use these lenses with film.  Have been trying to decide between an R6.2, R7, or R8/9.

I decided against the R6.2 for the same reason I chose an M7 over an M6 - I wanted the option of auto exposure. Furthermore, even a pristine R7 is less than half the price of an R6.2 and this is a camera I would only use occasionally.

I had always wanted an R9 but these images I found on a Japanese website unequivocally put me off the R9 irrespective of it's tempting ergonomics and features.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So I've just bought an R7 and am awaiting delivery.

Edited by MarkP

Primarily because The R8/9 is too bulky.

Price is a secondary consideration but I'd being paying more for a camera also with limited repairability. I could replace this R7 if it fails and is unrepairable and still have spent less for both cameras than for an R9. Current prices for good R9s and R6.2s are similar so I also didn't want to over invest in a camera for occasional use. For film I have the M7, CL, and Contax T3. This is only so I can use the two zooms with film.

Edited by MarkP

My RE stopped working today...

In fact the same problem. Which other R camera would be a good replace?

At the moment I do have 3 good working Leicaflex SL's.

But not all the lenses suit the Leicaflex e.g. Elmarit 2,8/24.

I heard here on this forum (otto.f) that the R5 have the least technical problems of the smaller R camera's...

I know that are two versions of it: Portugese and German.

Are there any differences in quality and price?

So the choice could be between the R7 or R5...

I  bought  an  R7   ten  years  ago from   some one   who  used  it  a lot  and  had  put  a lot  of   film through it .  After  about  a  year  the  shutter   stuck open a  couple  of  times  .  I had  the  camera  serviced ,  the only  time  it has  been  serviced.   That  is  the only  problem  I have   encountered  with it . 

I  really  like  to use  it. Put  it  on   Programme  and   I can  work  fast  ,  point  ,  focus , shoot  and  I get  good    pictures .  Good  bright ,  sharp  view  finder , easy   to  focus  with a  variety  of  lenses.   All  the information  you want  is  in  the  viewfinder. 

The   TTL   flash   function  is  good.  I   have  photographed  some  parties   and  social   events  with  it . I  use  a  Metz 45   'potato masher '  flash  which is  connected  with t he  SCA  351   adapter    and  the  flash  exposure  is  spot  on . 

It  reads  the  DX  code  on the  film  ,  which  can  be  overridden  if  you  want. 

I  have   only  limited  experience  with  an  R5    and  I   prefer  the  R7 .

I  would  certainly  consider  getting  it  repaired   if  needed.  Certainly  give one  serious   consideration. 

To answer the question, I had several R7's and the only issue I had with them is unfortunately common with all R's from R4-R7, the DOF preview lever sticks, and it's rather expensive to get it fixed.  But if you rarely use it, pulling it out by hand isn't such a huge inconvenience. 

I would definitely not pay more for any R body than you're willing to lose, because if something does significantly impact its operation, the repair is likely to be uneconomical. 

At this moment in time, KEH.com has an R5 in EX for $159 and an R8 in EX for $432.  They also have a 14-day no-hassle return policy with no restocking fee (just pay shipping both ways), and a 6-month warranty.  If something does go wrong and they can't repair it they would exchange or refund.  To me that makes more sense than buying off fleabay but YMMV.