R3 shutter fault?

earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

I think my cherished R3 may have a shutter fault. I fitted new batteries recently intending to use the camera and gave it a check over.

I haven't checked it with a film but, it appears that the shutter isn't firing correctly at 1/500 or 1/1000 speeds - all other speeds seem fine but at those top speeds the shutter fires, but you can't see any light through the shutter as you trip it. 

It's an odd one and not a fault I've ever seen before - just wondering if any one else has experienced this or if anyone knows if the R3 shutter can be fixed?

I will contact some repairers also, and - just for certainty - run a film through it. 

I've had this camera since new, it was a present and has sentimental value as well as being a great SLR body, so I want to save it! 

Can our eyes even see it if it opens only for 1/1000 sec?

Can't remember I did try it a few times with my M6 a while back. And I can vaguely remember that I didn't even see it at the faster speeds.

I checked the CRR Luton website and there is a number they ask you to text questions to, so I did. 

Just had an exchange of text messages - on a Friday evening!! - and the bad news is that they don't work on R models any more, as parts are scarce and the cost of repair will be uneconomical. 

However, the person on the other end has given me some tips on things to check out and I will run a test roll through the camera tomorrow. Funnily enough I now see 'exposure' at 1/500th, so maybe just maybe I'm in luck. From what CRR said, it sounds like if there is a fault it will be mechanical rather than electrical, which gives me some hope! 

Credit to CRR and there approach to customer service.

Well this thread is proving popular :)

Just an update for the benefit of anyone who may search for info on the R3 in the future, strangely the 1/500 speed started 'working' (in so far as I haven't actually tested a film through it, but it's definately opening), but at 1/1000 the shutter trips but doesn't open.

CRR were extremely helpful answering texts on a Friday evening but ultimately they don't offer repairs on the R models any more due to lack of spares and the fact that the cost of repair in most cases will be more than the value of the camera.

I spoke to Aperture and their in-house repairer thinks he may be able to help - I have to drop the camera up to them when I get a chance, so there is hope yet! I will update further.

I almost bought another R3 going on ebay but backed off as I really want 'my' R3 back to full working order. Worst case scenario, if it can't be fixed, I'll use it manual only up to 1/500.

Thanks all.

Enquiries so far have not been promising. No response from Leica (kind of expected!).

I'm told simply swapping the shutter with another camera won't work, although I must say I don't understand why. Of course the cost of repair would far exceed the value of the camera.

I shot a couple of rolls of film at the weekend (yet to be processed) using it on manual up to 1/500, which may have to be the answer, and buy another R3 if I really want auto and 1/1000, but I am going to check with another repair place I know.

It has put me off buying that gold plated R3 set from Westlicht though :)http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=4

• Like 1

Sadly   it  sounds  like  your  R3  may  be   coming  to the  end of its life. The    electronics   can  play  up  after  about   30  years  or  so . 

One of  mine  ,  my  first Leica,  has  a   shutter  which  does   what  ever  it  wants  , and  an  R3 mot  which  only  works  on the  manual  settings. 

The  silver   chrome   R3   is  still   working  properly. 

• Like 1

I think you're right although the various people I've spoken to all say they've never seen/heard of the fault with the top speed only before.

I just bid/won an R3 at auction for £50! A bit of an impulse so I just hope it's in working order...... or am I throwing good money after bad! Find out soon enough.

A dealer near me is selling a chrome R3 but they're asking £300 which is IMHO too much for a camera which can't be repaired.

• 5 years later...

I had basically the same problem with a R3 MOT Electronic.
I removed the bottom plate of the camera and applied a couple drops of lighter fluid on the visible mechanical parts and gears and then cycled the shutter a bunch of times. I also, cleaned the visible old oil and grease with a tiny self-made cotton swab and hi speeds came back to normal.

You may have to repeat this operation a couple of times as when the fluid evaporates gunk may get hard and sticky again.

Also, be gentle with the lighter fluid application as it may migrate towards the pentaprism and could stain it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Am 3.6.2021 um 00:38 schrieb FedeDec:

I had basically the same problem with a R3 MOT Electronic.
I removed the bottom plate of the camera and applied a couple drops of lighter fluid on the visible mechanical parts and gears and then cycled the shutter a bunch of times. I also, cleaned the visible old oil and grease with a tiny self-made cotton swab and hi speeds came back to normal.

You may have to repeat this operation a couple of times as when the fluid evaporates gunk may get hard and sticky again.

Also, be gentle with the lighter fluid application as it may migrate towards the pentaprism and could stain it.

thanks, FedeDec,

I had exactly that problem, only the 1/1000 did not work at all. 

With lighter fluid now all parts are working again.

Thanks very much.

Fo.