Leica to rework older M lenses?

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would be great if Leica released some more lenses in screw thread, I personally would love to be able to buy a 35mm Summicron in LTM .

You realize, of course, they did this about 15 years ago? They even released a 35mm brightline finder to go with the screw mount 35mm Summicron.

I was asking them for a Bi-Elmar: 24+50 or 35+75

I fear you don't understand. A Leica zoom zooms throughout its range. The focal length are marked because there was no way to match the focal length to the framelines.

A "Bi-elmar 35-70" would be a tri-elmar but with evf viewing it simply becomes a zoom lens.

A multifocal lens is not necessarily a zoom lens. The MATE for instance has three focal lengths (28, 35, 50) and no intermediary ones so it is not a zoom lens or at least it does not work as such.

Exactly what I try to explain earlier,.... I am old fashion, no EVF etc. I think there is more place for a real "Bi-Elmar" than a Tri. Quality is very high and post-processing in LR can do the rest

Thanks for your replies

Here is the first time that I post blurry images for sake of "MATE is not zoom":

I don't know why only 28mm focal give some stripes of moiré.

All photos at 1m and f:4 , change only focal lengths and between.

Only crops show.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 5

Hello Everybody,

Another alternative is that it might be a varifocal lens meaning it has to be refocused after changing focal lengths.

Even if it had already been correctly focused on the same subject when it was focused at the different focal length.

This new focusing would have to be done with some sort of focusing screen (ie: digital back) & not with the range/viewfinder.

Best Regards,

Michael 

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Zeiss already does this with the Sonnar 50mm 1.5, it is a rehash of the classic 1930s optical design.

I suspect this sort of thing is what Kaufmann is referring to, perhaps they plan to rehash some classic Walter Mandler designs.

Yes

There is something special about a strong old design, but with modern coatings and tolerances. The Sonnar is like a slightly warmer Summilux ASPH at f2.8 and above, but below it has an atmospheric glowy feel, combined with some modern centre sharpness (except at f1.5).

I love these types of hybrid Altneuland lenses ..

Edited by colonel

Hello Everybody,

Another alternative is that it might be a varifocal lens meaning it has to be refocused after changing focal lengths.

Even if it had already been correctly focused on the same subject when it was focused at the different focal length.

This new focusing would have to be done with some sort of focusing screen (ie: digital back) & not with the range/viewfinder.

Best Regards,

Michael

That would mean that it is a varifocal with three identical focus planes at 28, 35 and 50. Rather unlikely.