Leica M-E, now is the best time?

m9photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, I have used Leica in the past M6/7 and haven't been in range finder for the past 7 years now. Last camera I used was the Epson RD (what a wonderful little cam). So I have the itch to get back in range finder again since my back is no longer cooperating with me hauling big DSLR around. So I've been browsing and have narrow down to M-E and Q, I know Q isn't rangefinder but I like the concept of being full frame and still have the quality of M lens class on their 28/1.7 lens.

BH has a very good deal now on M-E kit with Summarit lenses (50& 75) for $6500 which is saving of $1200 or less, so my question is for M-E users, how do you like the M- E? I have set my budget with $7k max for now (camera and lens). Any of you have the same kit from B&H? who is the quality of this Summarit lenses? should I better off with M240 (used ones plus one lens - maybe 35 cron). Thanks for any input and I look forward hanging out more in this forum!

Ike

The M-E is exactly an M9 with a couple frills removed. I have an older M9 and am content with it. In 35 and 50 lenses I have both Summicrons (but not the latest ASPH versins) and Summarits (the 2.5 versions). I prefer the Summarits, as they still have great image quality, and I like the handling and size better.

The ME is. Great, though it's high ISO performance leaves something to be desired. You might be better off getting a used ME or M9 from a dealer that'll offer you a warranty. Even better, if you work mostly in BW, consider a used monochrom, the older M9M. It's high ISO is spectacular. 

It is a painted finish rather than plated ,  missing manual frame lines,  missing USB transfer.   If you use more than iso 640 regularly,  buy a later model.

For a M9 , which it basically is,  it is a fine camera.  

Summarit lenses are not the same quality as Leica standards, but close.  The 35 is the best one.

Common opinion is that it's the same as m9, just without manual frame lines and USB socket. I used to have M-E and the main issue with that camera in my opinion is lack of firmware versions. For m9, You can download and install plenty of them (and one of them eliminated the problem with shutter). For M-E (at least when I owned it), there was only one firmware. And with that software, there was a problem with shutter (it used to hang after few shots taken in short time). Often, the only solution was to take the battery of the camera. So I suggest m9 if You have such an option.

Concerning the ISO - yes, it's not high, but 90% of the best photographs taken ever has been made on ISO 25 - 400, so that's not an issue in fact.

I have the ME for a couple of years now and would highly recommend it. The summarit lenses are fine lenses, however are a bit slow in low available light and the camera's usable ISO is about 800 max making the kit a bit limiting. I would suggest faster used lenses. You can always buy the kit, sell the summarits and get a set of used faster lenses.

I own a M6 TTL and an M8. I am thinking off trading in my M8 for an M-E.

Is it possible to use the M-E with a Leica EVF or does it only work on a Leica M 240?

Thanks for your answer,

Gerjan van Asch

The M9/M-E uses basically the same sensor as the M8 (only larger) and is also a CCD sensor.  There is no live-view capability on the M9/M-E.

it's the Visoflex III all the way!   :)

m9+viso.jpg

Edited by hepcat

I just got my M-E back from Leica with a new sensor (sadly not the new non-corroding version).  I use the 35mm f/2.5 Summarit, a 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit ASPH and a 50mm f/2 Summicron v5 (not to mention an ancient 90mm Elmarit from the 1960s and a few Zeiss 50mm Sonnars from the 30s and 40s).  

The M-E is a fantastic camera.  I bought mine new in April of this year and have no regrets other than the few months it spent getting sensor surgery.  It is a delight to use, and with my uncoated 1937 Sonnar is the best camera I've ever used for color shots of people.

Here is a selfie with the 1937 Sonnar (uncoated)

21639071894_371a28ddd2_b.jpgL1000221.jpg by Andrew F, on Flickr

And a picture of my brother-in-law with my 1963 Sonnar knock-off (coated Zomz Jupiter 3)

18347674423_43616be3bc_b.jpgL1001062.jpg by Andrew F, on Flickr

And two shots of a couple I ran into in San Francisco back in January, again with the 1937 uncoated Sonnar

17085532347_5a35a71ae9_b.jpgL1000238.jpg by Andrew F, on Flickr

17292483991_2cd7aab610_b.jpgL1000241.jpg by Andrew F, on Flickr

• Like 5

As said Erwin Puts , M9 or ME CCD sensor has "vivid" color like Kodak Portra

(remind CCD sensor comes from Kodak)

M240 CMOS "neutral" .

I agree but I return now to film for better color and deep black . All my 2 digital M

now are used as back up :)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-381

That said , ME good choice

Nice pictures  Andrew

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Since when did Portra have vivid colour ...

Thats a bit worrying, maybe he meant Kodachrome  ...

I guess it depends upon what you think is "vivid". Certainly Portra is less vivid than Velvia or Ektar (and most digital colour that I see) but I still think, in the right light, Portra colours are pretty "vivid". 

15577311423_9b1253b304_c.jpg

15673169534_0ac037bc49_c.jpg
  • Like 3

Harold , yes I mean Kodachrome ....  but as said Ian Portra is vivid too  :)

KP400

M7-50 LA

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

• Like 3

...  or also vivid with KP 160 :)

M7- 90 Macro Elmar- Macroadapter

KP 160 dev home C41 30°C

Best

Henry

• Like 1

again KP 400 for comparison

M7-90 ME

and  for Ike with M9 or M-E (same CCD sensor) in the next post

• Like 3

Best

Henry