which adapter for Sony A7SII and Leica glass?

zohar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to use my various Leica lenses with my Sony A7SII. Does anyone have experience with this? Can you recommend a good quality adapter? I am using the camera for landscape astral night photography with the Milky Way in the background. Of course everything Will be manual. I have a 21 millimeter F 3.4, a 35 mm F1 .4, an f 1 Noctilux, and a 75 mm f 1.4 summilux. Thank you.

I have the following adapters, and I'm happy to list them in the Classifieds if anyone wants them (I've listed them before and got no takers, so I am reluctant to list them is there's no interest - I won't sell them directly as that would be unfair to Andreas, and it wouldn't affect the price anyway):

• Hawks Factory Leica M to E mount
  • Phigment electronic Leica M to E mount
  • Novoflex Leica M to E mount
  • Novoflex Nikon to E Mount

All in perfect nick.

Cheers

John

I have a £30 SRB one, and a cheapie which was 6.95 (Neweer I think), nothing to choose between them, both are short so needed shimming to make the lenses work with the focus and dof scales. Even the Novoflex one doesn't seem to be the right length which is disgraceful at the price.

The macro ones are useful, I have a cheapie rather than the voigtlander one, and it works!

Gerry

I got several of the fotodiox cheapies for my varied film lenses. Initially they worked well, but the "spring action" to hold the lens flange tight against the mount face was done simply by slitting the bayonet flange and "bulging" it a bit. With time that fit relaxed so the lenses got very loose. It did prove how well the A7 worked with all my old Leica, Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc. lenses, but I replaced the ones for my good lenses.

They did have direct M39 and M42 to E adapters to avoid having to stack adapters, and of course theses don't have bayonet issues.

I got several of the fotodiox cheapies for my varied film lenses. Initially they worked well, but the "spring action" to hold the lens flange tight against the mount face was done simply by slitting the bayonet flange and "bulging" it a bit. With time that fit relaxed so the lenses got very loose. It did prove how well the A7 worked with all my old Leica, Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc. lenses, but I replaced the ones for my good lenses.

The best testimonial for buying the better widget in the first place so you won't have to buy it twice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would go against the majority here and suggest the Hawk's adapter V5. I don't see any value in the Voigtlander in comparison to the Hawk's. You don't have an "adjustable" infinity lock, so if you're lucky, the CV might be spot on on your A7SII. The Voigtlander has the least extension range in any current helicoid adapter and it happens that it costs the most as well.

If you want plain adapter with high quality build, I would recommend Kindai/Rayqual adapter.

• 1 month later...

I would go against the majority here and suggest the Hawk's adapter V5..

I also use the Hawk's if I need close focus ability. It is well made and sensibly priced. Mostly though I use a plain SRB adapter as it looks neater on the camera.