What lens for a 10 days visite in HK

SiggiGun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll travel to Hong-Kong for 10 days. I think is it a great place for taking pictures: street, architecture, landscapes,... I planned to take with me 3-4 lenses: I hesitate between 3 different combos. Please help....

• Super-Elmar-M f3.4/21mm ASPH.
  • Summilux-M f1.4/35mm ASPH.
  • APO-Summicron-M f2.0/50mm ASPH.
  • Macro-Elmar-M f4.0/90mm

OR

• APO-Summicron-M f2.0/75mm ASPH.

OR

• Macro-Elmar-M f4.0/90mm

What do you mean? 

• Like 1

Don't you have a 'type' of image that you prefer (street, landscape, etc)? Don't try and do something different just because you are going somewhere else. Rather than take an extra lens to cover yourself take a P&S camera that will be far more versatile in filling the gaps, you may even find it a better option.

Steve

• Like 1

Never having been to your specific destination I can't address your concern directly, but I can offer a general personal viewpoint.  It is, of course, only my personal preference and YMMV.  I base my thoughts on a fair number of overseas trips for my wife and I over the last 11 years where we each travel with only one carry on bag each, sometimes containing our cameras, or sometimes with a separate camera bag each.  For a vacation, I think the less stuff you carry the more you will enjoy the trip.  Your Flicker account suggests to me something fast and close focusing.

Changing lenses in busy locations just strikes me as inconvenient regardless of how good you are at it.  Plus everything extra you take is something else to keep secured, hidden, or to transport.  We use public transportation and have to crowd onto subways, public busses, train cars, and I really don't like the idea of having a camera case on view.

My current procedure is one lens on a body that lends itself to at least some sort of cover by my shirt, and a second lens in my pocket.

I suggest that you eliminate everything you possible can eliminate and concentrate on enjoying your visit and maximizing the use of minimum equipment.

On the other hand, if it's a photographic trip rather than a vacation, take everything you can physically wag around :)

Edited by Schrödinger's cat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Never having been to your specific destination I can't address your concern directly, but I can offer a general personal viewpoint.  It is, of course, only my personal preference and YMMV.  I base my thoughts on a fair number of overseas trips for my wife and I over the last 11 years where we each travel with only one carry on bag each, sometimes containing our cameras, or sometimes with a separate camera bag each.  For a vacation, I think the less stuff you carry the more you will enjoy the trip.  Your Flicker account suggests to me something fast and close focusing.

Changing lenses in busy locations just strikes me as inconvenient regardless of how good you are at it.  Plus everything extra you take is something else to keep secured, hidden, or to transport.  We use public transportation and have to crowd onto subways, public busses, train cars, and I really don't like the idea of having a camera case on view.

My current procedure is one lens on a body that lends itself to at least some sort of cover by my shirt, and a second lens in my pocket.

I suggest that you eliminate everything you possible can eliminate and concentrate on enjoying your visit and maximizing the use of minimum equipment.

On the other hand, if it's a photographic trip rather than a vacation, take everything you can physically wag around :)

This. Except I wouldn't have a lens in my pocket, just one on the camera.

If you're staying somewhere secure then you take more, but I'd leave the hotel with only one.

If it's a photographic trip, then combo 2 or 3, ideally with more than one body to make life easier. I still wouldn't take everything, you have to be able to move around.

Most importantly, enjoy, and share some shots when you get back!

Cheers,

Michael

This. Except I wouldn't have a lens in my pocket, just one on the camera.

If you're staying somewhere secure then you take more, but I'd leave the hotel with only one.

If it's a photographic trip, then combo 2 or 3, ideally with more than one body to make life easier. I still wouldn't take everything, you have to be able to move around.

Most importantly, enjoy, and share some shots when you get back!

Cheers,

Michael

Hong Kong is one of the safest cities in the world so your excursions should not be ruined by fear of pickpocketing. Be guided by the lens combo you are using in other cities and you'll be just fine.

Combo #3. 35 for street, 21 for interiors (temples), 90 for close-up details and possibly a night-time harbor shot. Tripod? 

Visit the Giant Buddha and temples on Lantau Island. Not sure if the cable car is still going.

• Like 2

I'd bring combo 3.

The 21 will be great as HK is full of tight spaces. 35 perhaps more useful here than 50, and 90 for compression when it counts.

Tat said, if you are in the market for another lens, as others have already said, this is the place to buy.

• Like 1