Leica SL: the DMR replacement we were hoping for?

MacSpikes

There is more than enough room in the large adapter to make it work... Costly adapter but possible, look at the third part adapters for the S2/S006/S007

The R - L adapter could communicate with the camera with the electronic contacts, and then having a mechanical connection to the lens, as well as ROM contacts to detect what lens is mounted. Set the lens at F22 (like in program mode on the R8/9) and set the aperture on the camera.

It is funny that the only problem I have with my R9 DMR was the auto aperture mechanical lever sticking.

I have to push on the depth of field preview lever before taking any picture.

• Like 1

It is funny that the only problem I have with my R9 DMR was the auto aperture mechanical lever sticking.

I have to push on the depth of field preview lever before taking any picture.

Other than the battery problem obviously...

;-)

I thought I read that newer Nikon lenses used an electronically controlled stop down mechanism. Surely Leica could copy the technology and apply it to an adapter.

Getting it to work at 1/8000th of a second might be a trick. I would buy it (assuming I owned an SL) even if it would only hit 1/10000th of a second

Guys stop saying it can't be done:

Leica makes two adapters that do exactly this:

Leica S-Adapter H (For Hasselblad H lenses on Leica S bodies) and S-Adapter C (For Contax 645 lenses on Leica S bodies) 

Edited by jip

Yes so the motor has to be within the adapter rather than the lens, it fits in a R8/9 so why wouldn't it fit in a adapter the adapter is more than large enough, to fit a spring/motor.

My guess is that the R to L (SL) adapter will only work electronically and thus transmit only the ROM information. 

And I think it is one of the reasons why, because the ROM can't transmit the aperture in use, the SL, like the M, has a secondary cell on the front of the camera to help the camera to guess the aperture used. 

That system seems to be very good from my short experience with the SL and R or M lenses. 

Edited by Leicaiste

An "active" adapter is doable. It could be done with a similar motor design as used in an auto focus lens.

The problem is how many would Leica have to sell to make it worthwhile?

It would be ideal but I really can't see an "active" adapter every being available.