Leica SL: the DMR replacement we were hoping for?

MacSpikes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The DMR had been a long time favorite camera to me, especially for birding. The results of the R-lenses is just stunning, even so much that I am willing to accept all the quirks of the DMR (freezing, battery drain, 2GB cards, slow, low resolution, max iso 400).

Enter the SL: an SLR-like high-res viewfinder, R-mount compatible, SLR-like grip, dual card slots, full frame, more iso etc. Is this the "R10" we have been waiting for or not? The M(240) with the optional viewfinder did never do the trick, because the resolution of the viewfinder is far beyond usable with R-glass. The SL however could be just the solution.....

What are your thoughts?

I think it will be great, I do hope though that the R - L adapter has the following features:

Auto aperture control (so no stopped down metering)

ROM contacts for EXIF

Might sound impossible but the S - L adapter even makes it possible to use S lenses with fully automation.

Also for the S system there are adapters for Hasselblad H and Contax 645 with full automation. So if Leica chooses to make the R - L a simple adapter with my mechanical function apart from coupling the lens to the body I feel they are on purpose letting own R users.

• Like 2

Auto aperture control (so no stopped down metering)

That will not be possible. There will be no levers in the camera or the mount to work with the aperture cam on the lens.

You would have to use the R lenses in stop down metering mode, in exactly the same way that you would via a Leitax mount on a Nikon.

That will not be possible. There will be no levers in the camera or the mount to work with the aperture cam on the lens.

You would have to use the R lenses in stop down metering mode, in exactly the same way that you would via a Leitax mount on a Nikon.

There is more than enough room in the large adapter to make it work... Costly adapter but possible, look at the third part adapters for the S2/S006/S007

The R - L adapter could communicate with the camera with the electronic contacts, and then having a mechanical connection to the lens, as well as ROM contacts to detect what lens is mounted. Set the lens at F22 (like in program mode on the R8/9) and set the aperture on the camera.

Edited by jip

The mount would have to have a motor in it, wouldn't it?

The body would electronically tell the mount which aperture it is choosing (in P mode - if there is one) and the mount would need to have solenoid or something similar that would move a lever on the front of the mount to the appropriate position to set the aperture on the lens. All in 1/8000th of a second.

I just can't see it happening.

There is more than enough room in the large adapter to make it work... Costly adapter but possible, look at the third part adapters for the S2/S006/S007

The R - L adapter could communicate with the camera with the electronic contacts, and then having a mechanical connection to the lens, as well as ROM contacts to detect what lens is mounted. Set the lens at F22 (like in program mode on the R8/9) and set the aperture on the camera.

So, the adaptor would have to have a mechanical unit built in to stop down the R lenses. This would also include some kind of motor to actuate a cam lever........assuming the SL has some way to communicate the required info to the lens via such an adaptor.

I think that is highly unlikely - in any case with the EVF the issue of using a lens stopped down is less of a problem.

The whole 'R solution' is a bit redundant now. Anyone actively using R gear who wanted to go digital has surely already found a solution in Canon or Nikon (and most likely started using native Canon/Nikon lenses as well).

The new SL will no doubt increase interest (and prices) in R lenses again, for new users.

• Like 2

The whole 'R solution' is a bit redundant now. Anyone actively using R gear who wanted to go digital has surely already found a solution in Canon or Nikon (and most likely started using native Canon/Nikon lenses as well).

I do not agree with you there. Some may have found a Nikon or Canon to be an adequate solution but I have not. I have tried working with Leitax adapters (great solution by the way), but I kept reaching back to my DMR. Although an old camera, to me it is the perfect match with the lenses. And furthermore: I never stop down my lenses anyway ;-)

A battery powered auto diaphragm adapter is possible, but I agree not likely from Leica. I also agree that this is needed less with the EFV than with an SLR, as the finder stays bright on the EFV. I now use my R lenses on an A7, and it works well for me. A powered adapter would be possible for the A7 as well, which might be of more interest to 3rd party makers due to the higher sales volume of th A7 series. 

I also agree that this is needed less with the EFV than with an SLR, as the finder stays bright on the EFV. 

Yes, even on the M240 with EVF the main advantage of an auto-diaphragm is to identify the optimal focus plane when the lens is wide open.

Edited by MarkP

James

You should have bought that 80 Summilux when you had the chance ;)  

Andy,

I was just thinking 'what if' I'd bought all of those bargain R lenses I was seeing a few years ago........

I remember in Aperture a few years ago, they were basically 'make us an offer' on the few they had & they told me they weren't taking in any more s/h R stock as nobody wanted it any more!

I might decide to cash in on the few I do have........

An electronic, powered by camera/battery, adapter solution for the AAC use of R-lenses would be very nice. But I think will not be provided by Leica, ever. This would mean losing too much potential SL-lens sales of old R-users.  A third party might try, but won't deliver the quality needed on a SL.

A more realistic approach for the Leica L-R adapter would be the mechanical solution, already existent on the R-bellows and the PC-Super Angulon-R 28 mm./2.8. Just a mechanical lever to open the lens and with a flick of a finger the aperture closes.

Can be done without looking outside the viewfinder.

A far more simpler solution. I know you can't do sports at 1/8000 s this way, but for more static and the slower moving subjects it is an elegant solution. I would like that very much.

But looking at the pictures of the L-R adapter in the SL-brochure, this ship has sailed already, nearly out of focus....

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 3

What I would really like would be a camera that you could use both as a proper mechanical rangefinder for M lenses and as an electronic viewfinder quasi-reflex camera for using R lenses (albeit realistically having to use stop-down metering). Oh, hang on a minute though....

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I had and loved the DMR and I don't think the SL excites me.  It will offer a way to use R lenses, yes, but not necessarily in a way superior to any mirrorless camera out there. And it will be an altogether different experience.

To me anything other than a real optical viewfinder is a compromise.  I played with the Q and while its EVF was better than the competition I thought it still had a long way to go to rival the brilliance and color accuracy of a an optical finder.

Also I loved the ergonomics and handling of the R8/R9/DMR.  The SL looks weak in that department.

There is no significant capital for Leica to make an auto-diaphragm adapter for R lenses. They no longer made the lenses, and it would be hugely expensive. We coped with manual diaphragm lenses by pressing a manual button or lever. That could be made, but would anyone want it?