Leica SF-40 Flash Unit

mirekti

of course it comes with a small restriction , the flash does not have its maximum power at 1/8000s but it is perfect for a contre-jour

The old  SF-58 had HSS too , I sold it because it was too big for the M, this SF40 is perfect

imagine the possibilities with a Noctliux :-)

Edited by erick

I'm off to Leica, Mayfair next month for their "Leica M Photographer" one day course.

Maybe they can tell me more then?

BTW, anybody else been on this course?

What's it like?

It's free

Hi, I did the course many years ago (Milton Keynes) - M6 & R6.2. Fascinating & Informative..

• Like 1

Here's the link to the actual Leica SF40 flash manual. Don't go by the other i40 manuals as each i40 is a bit different. 

https://us.leica-camera.com/content/download/130175/1631416/version/2/file/Instruction_SF40.pdf

This download is the official manual, from Leica's pathetically unusable website. Buried under information/support/downloads/M system (if memory serves).  In any case,  the link will enable you to directly download the manual.

• Like 3

I think I'll be keeping my SF-58 since the SF-40 lacks an auto-thyristor mode.  In some situations my M-240 will severely underexpose when shooting flash in TTL mode.  Bright backgrounds and light sources in the frame can fool the metering (just like when shooting without flash).  In the same situations the SF-58 auto-thyristor mode produces properly exposed shots.

Leica SL and Leica SF-40. I cannot get the flash exposure compensation -2 to +2 to work, neither on TTL nor on A.

Any solutions?

On the SL you MUST set flash exposure comp in the camera rather than on the flash unit. It ignores the exposure compensation dial. On the M(240) it uses the dial, but not on the SL.

- Jared

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Nissin i40 in the version for Olympus/Panasonic which also works with the Panasonic Leicas - I use it with my D-Lux 109 as well as with my Olympus gear. It is not compatible with the Leica M, X and T models as they use the Leica flash system. Unfortunately Nissin do not supply a model for the Leica M which is a pity as they cost about twice as much in the rebadged Leica M version.

the SF-40 is not only twice the price but has no serial number verified with Leica

also made in China    works well but hardly worth the price

I have the Nissin i40 in the version for Olympus/Panasonic which also works with the Panasonic Leicas - I use it with my D-Lux 109 as well as with my Olympus gear. It is not compatible with the Leica M, X and T models as they use the Leica flash system. Unfortunately Nissin do not supply a model for the Leica M which is a pity as they cost about twice as much in the rebadged Leica M version.

If my memory serves me well, I believe the 'Leica' system is actually based on the Nikon configuration. I recall buying an off-camera cord for my M camera some time ago and that is why I retain that association in my mind. If so, the Nikon version of the Nissin should work.