Leica SF-40 Flash Unit

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since the M240 has the same smart shoe as the Olympus PEN cameras, would an Olympus flash work?

I've used the Olympus FL-36 for quite while on my M9. Manual and Auto works well (TTL will not). offers both tilt and bounce capability. You can buy it quite cheap in the used market.

Yes, I'm wondering the same thing...I'm hoping for a better alternative to my SF24D that's not as huge as the SF58, to keep the form factor aligned with the M. And I want a full featured flash, ie. TTL, auto, manual, etc.

Any word on availability...as well as suitability for M240 and M9 vs. just the SL?

I would be surprised if Leica has developed a completely new flash system for the SL. There are already two flash systems for Leica cameras - the traditional Leica system which works on M and X series of cameras and the Olympus/Panasonic/Leica system that works on the Panasonic manufactured Leicas such as the D-L 109. From the photographs of the SL it appears to have a typical Leica M hot shoe which is quite different from the Panasonic/Olympus hot she.

I see the flash has Wireless Slave Functionality. I so hope that Leica will make a transmitter for the current and older M cameras. I want to be able to control the flash output wirelessly from the camera.

Edited by jto555

Last week I have asked Leica directly about compatibility of SF 40 and M 240. I was advised, that tests are running and I will get final answer this week. Today I have got the answer. All tests are finished and there are no restrictions with use on the M 240, which is good news. So we just have to wait, when it will be available.

• Like 4

I see the flash has Wireless Slave Functionality. I so hope that Leica will make a transmitter for the current and older M cameras. I want to be able to control the flash output wirelessly from the camera.

The i40 wireless slave is a dumb system. No TTL. It's just a trigger (either with or without pre flash so you can have a TTL flash on hot shoe). You need to use the slave flash in manual mode.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, manual off camera flash is the only way to go...

I use a couple of flashes and TTL groups drive me mad . I just want to set each flash to "X" power and up or down each gun as needed. So pleeeeeeeese Leica make a wireless transmitter that works with these new flashes. I do not want to be buying extra receivers for each flash.

John

BTW: Nikon and Leica shoe terminals on the body are the same, even though the TTL control protocols are different: 

Nikon-Leica-flash-terminal.jpg

This means that you can use passive connections (as in remote flash cords, etc) sold for Nikon with Leica M-P and SL flash units. 

I know my Nikon SB-30 works fine on the M-P too, in manual or its built-in auto mode. It just doesn't operate with Leica TTL control. 

Edited by ramarren

"This means that you can use passive connections (as in remote flash cords, etc) sold for Nikon with Leica M-P and SL flash units. 

I know my Nikon SB-30 works fine on the M-P too, in manual or its built-in auto mode. It just doesn't operate with Leica TTL control. "

Good Info thanks! 

Edited by Jeffry Abt

Thanks Gordon, manual off camera flash is the only way to go...

I use a couple of flashes and TTL groups drive me mad . I just want to set each flash to "X" power and up or down each gun as needed. So pleeeeeeeese Leica make a wireless transmitter that works with these new flashes. I do not want to be buying extra receivers for each flash.

John

I use either Godox or Elinchrom wireless systems every day on the M. They work flawlessly. However the i40 is a dumb slave only, I'm afraid. No wireless triggers with control.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1