Leica SF-40 Flash Unit

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone seen this unit other than in this review http://kristiandowling.com/blog/2015/10/20/the-leica-sl-type-601-professional-mirrorless-camera ?
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5177c8d1e4b084b94e4b5c0e/t/562638d8e4b0ac6f2742c349/1445345499342/?format=500w
I wondered if it would be usable with the M. 

Edited by mirekti

Can you use the original i40 on M240 ?

Good question. I would hazard the guess Nikon version of i40 would work.

i have tried to use Nikon's SB800 on M240 in manual mode, it works but it is big, I also have third party extension lead to operate flash off camera, again it works. M camera really needs compact flash to make it feasible.

the main thing is to keep HSS 

I Can write an email to the company to ask

Big thumbs up for initative but good luck with it, Leica would not say that Nikon variant is fully compatible especially if it works, and Nissin, unless you know the insider, would not say what we want to hear.  Most they would disclose is whether flash would damage the camera or other way round.

• Like 1

Can you use the original i40 on M240 ?

It would probably fire at full power (or at various powers if it has a manual power selector...Idk, I've never seen one in the flesh) but almost certainly not in GMC aka TTL-preflash mode.  The contacts are in the same places as Nikon's but their flashes don't work in GNC/TTL-preflash on Leica bodies.  I presume the programming is different. 

• Like 1

Yep. You can use an i40 in manual mode. It's a good flash to use in manual mose but it's full stops only. I have a couple of the Fuji version that I use on my M's. Very excited to hear about a Leica version as it balances really well on the M body.

No TTL of course and the i40 doesn't have an "auto mode" like you know. It has a "full auto" mode but that's tied to the TTL system with no adjustment. TTL is the same but with FEC.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1

Since the M240 has the same smart shoe as the Olympus PEN cameras, would an Olympus flash work?

I think you are mistaken. The M series cameras flash shoe is not the same as in Olympus cameras. The Leicas manufactured by Panasonic such as the D-Lux 109 have the same flash shoe to as Panasonic/Olympus cameras.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

It is confusing as some flashes are described as suitable for Olymus/Panasonic/Leica when it is only the Pana Leicas that will be compatible. My Olympus FL-300R flash works well with my D-Lux 109.

Unfortunately Leica branded flashes which are actually made by Metz or now Nissin cost a great deal more than very similar flashes supplied by the original manufacturers for other makes.

Edited by ayewing