Leica SL (Typ 601) - Mirrorless System Camera Without Compromise

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here comes the Leica SL – a professional mirrorless system camera without compromise!

Top class electronic viewfinder, 35mm sensor, 4k video and professional features - and the perfect tool to use your Leica R and M lenses.

We have for you:

leica-sl_newsletter.jpg

Share your voice!

• Like 8

I think that Leica have spread themselves too thin.

They should focus their R&D on perfecting the digital M, including developing MUCH better ISO to compete with rest of the digital camera world.

This new offering, like the Q and T and XV, doesn't speak to me at all.

And the S should really be made to take both film and digital photos like Hasselblad (with a digital back) - that would be true to the roots.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Price is $12000 with 24-90mm lens. $7500 body only.

BTW this thing is absolutely huge!

REALLY??? For only a 24MP full fame sensor????

In this context, nothing in Mr. Slack's photo album particularly impresses me.  these shots could easily be taken with a Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. 

Edited by A miller

The price is mentioned at the bottom of the dpreview review. They have had a pre production model for a few weeks/months. Their images show this beast in use and you cannot help but immediately notice its sheer size. Something which is so obviously missing from the Leica launch pics (and in its first review) The image quality will no doubt be superb - if not then why would anyone use such a sizeable body/lens especially at this sort of price. But as the competition moves to very much higher than 24mp chips, speedy performance, 4k video as standard and smaller size and weight I fear that this will only appeal to a very well heeled few Leica afficionados.

A missed opportunity perhaps...

I would say that this is the right camera for the day. I'm excited. Time to start saving my pennies. ;-) Not that I need another camera.

I would have loved it if instead of putting the EVF on the side rather like the M and the Q rather than in the center like the R's and the S's.

I'm very slightly disappointed that it is only 10.3MP when using a T lens but as soon as I thought this through, I realized that it kind of had to be that way.

In going through my wishlist for the T, and also the M and I think that they basically hit everything.

The price is mentioned at the bottom of the dpreview review. They have had a pre production model for a few weeks/months. Their images show this beast in use and you cannot help but immediately notice its sheer size. Something which is so obviously missing from the Leica launch pics (and in its first review) The image quality will no doubt be superb - if not then why would anyone use such a sizeable body/lens especially at this sort of price. But as the competition moves to very much higher than 24mp chips, speedy performance, 4k video as standard and smaller size and weight I fear that this will only appeal to a very well heeled few Leica afficionados.

A missed opportunity perhaps...

4K video doesn't need many MP.  It is more about sensor read out speed.

With screen resolution what it currently is at the limit of human eye resolution what are the actual use cases for needing over 24MP? How big do you need to print it?

Reading the Leica site SL information and the illustrations, it appears Leica has designed an impressive piece of kit.

Is it worth the cost? If it is a DURABLE design and performs RELIABLY I'd be interested. I'm not in love with the 'look' but looks aren't everything.

The fact they've addressed all the legacy glass issues makes this an image devise allowing you to capture images with the look of a favorite piece of Leica glass.

The SL body, accessories grip and a wide lens sounds good to me!

With screen resolution what it currently is at the limit of human eye resolution what are the actual use cases for needing over 24MP? How big do you need to print it?

on that logic, why do you need to spend 12K for what is already overboard in terms of capabilities?

To me, for this price tag the sensor should be larger...

• Like 1

Using that logic cameras such as Phase One and medium format backs would be completely unecessary? Please re-consider the Leica intro to the announcement of this product - they speak of the launch of a new professional product family not a 'well heeled consumer' one. I fail to see how 24mp will impress the professional community who have different size and publishing needs than printing pics as we might.

BTW I hope that this product succeeds - as with all other Leica products but whilst I am not in the market, nor the income category that allows me to spend such sums on this sort of camera my view is that it falls between the needs of either a professional or a consumer who demands the best spec for his money. As for image quality how much better can it be than the M or M240 with most of the M lenses?

Evidently the S class cameras are doing well in the professional photography areas at Leica!

The SL is filling a niche just below that class in terms of price.

I kind of doubt that diehard M users will like or use this camera even if they could afford the price, seen its size and massive lenses.

But if you give me one I won't turn you down  :)

Sure, a computer screen needs very few MPs.

But a high-end inkjet that I use demands 300dpi.

I'd like to print bigger at native resolution of the camera than just 13"x20" .........

I love my M240; use it for 95% of my paying jobs as a freelancer.  That said, M240, to Q to SL is too little, too late.  Ignoring the rangefinder experience which I love, the standard bearer now is the Sony A7 mirrorless system.  For the price of this monster, I could get 2, A7RII bodies and still use most of my Leica (and Canon) glass.  Huge (no pun intended) mis-step from Leica IMO.

• Like 4