Response needed: Lisbon 2016

andybarton

I'll  now be in New York at the time of the One Challenge 2016.

I really regret not being able to join this year, missing old friends and meeting new ones.

Regards

If you can't be with us then, I'm told, that NY is a damn good place to be as an alternative.

I've yet to get there.

• Like 1

If you can't be with us then, I'm told, that NY is a damn good place to be as an alternative.

I've yet to get there.

Thanks Erl. Sorry not to meet you this year. Last time in NYC for me was 10 years ago. I'll just have to grin and bear it..... ;)

Anyhow, I hope everyone has a wonderful time in Lisbon.

Cheers

• Like 2

Summary so far:

1. We have filled all the places for the wine tasting on the Friday evening.

2. I have found what looks like a good, reasonably priced and decent TripAdvisor rating restaurant in the city centre, and I have asked Luis (mca) to see if he can call them to see if they can accommodate us.

3. I will post in a separate thread the other activity that has been arranged. If you're in Lisbon early, this might just be right up your street :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

With many thanks to John Gorten and a friend of his in Portugal, an offer has been made to host a wine-tasting in Lisbon on the Friday evening before the Challenge. I suspect that John is just trying to nobble the opposition before hand :), but on the assumption that this is just my cynicism coming to the fore, we need to know how many people attending The Challenge would also like to partake of some of Portugal's finest product.

There will need to be a small charge of 6 Euro per person and the event will last an hour, from 17:00 - 18:00 on the Friday. More details will be available when we have them.

Numbers are restricted to 10 persons, but if there is strong interest a "second sitting" or a larger venue could be procured.

So, please form an orderly queue and let us know whether you're interested. 

Another attraction is being looked at too, but that's still in it's infancy, and I will share that if and when something comes up.

So, in relation to wine-tasting, I will start... (Edit: and I will add to the list on this post as people respond)

Andy Barton x2

Philippe Octo x2 (Provisional)

satijntje

StS

erl x2 (Provisional)

Sandokan

spylaw4

Ted99

photoallee x4

potocki x2

cbretteville x2

mca

Looks like that's it, I'm afraid, depending upon when Philippe and erl can confirm

Andy,

My dear wife will be on tour in China so there will be only little me.

Thanks

• Like 2

Oh Dear

One of our oldest friends have announced a combined 85th birthday and 60th wedding anniversary on the Saturday.

We'll be really really sad to miss the challange (and cancel our flights and hotel bookings as well :( ) but some things cannot be reasonably missed.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time - I'll be looking at the pictures and wishing we were there.

Best wishes to all

• Like 4

Oh Dear

One of our oldest friends have announced a combined 85th birthday and 60th wedding anniversary on the Saturday.

We'll be really really sad to miss the challange (and cancel our flights and hotel bookings as well :( ) but some things cannot be reasonably missed.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time - I'll be looking at the pictures and wishing we were there.

Best wishes to all

Jono, that is really a great disappointment from my POV, but I do wish your friends the very best of a wonderful celebration. You and Emma will now feel obliged to commit to the Australasian One Challenge early next year. Plans are well advanced and you will be appraised with details soon.

say Hi to your dogs for me. I now have a new Shepherd called Jupiter, since Merlin's passing last April.

• Like 7

Just a heads up, folks.

I have emailed a restaurant in the centre of Lisbon that looks like it will fit our needs for dinner on the Saturday very well. I am just waiting for them to respond and will pass on news as soon as I receive it.

• Like 6

Jono, that is really a great disappointment from my POV, but I do wish your friends the very best of a wonderful celebration. You and Emma will now feel obliged to commit to the Australasian One Challenge early next year. Plans are well advanced and you will be appraised with details soon.

say Hi to your dogs for me. I now have a new Shepherd called Jupiter, since Merlin's passing last April.

Congratulations on Jupiter - and I'm very sorry about Merlin's passing - we had a wonderful flatcoat called Merlin. I'm not certain that the friends' celebration will be that great for us (we probably won't know anyone, it's in London and we'll have a 3 hour drive at either side). But it was apparently impossible to miss. 

The dogs send their best wishes right back atcha - why don't you pop over to the UK and meet them?

all the best

• Like 2